Update-help -force Error

When I press enter on “Update-help -force” I get the following error, can someone help me what to do?

PS C:\Windows\system32> update-help -force
update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) ‘PrintManagement’ with UI culture(s) {en-US} : Unable to connect
to Help content. The server on which Help content is stored might not be available. Verify that the server is
available, or wait until the server is back online, and then try the command again.
At line:1 char:1

• update-help -force
  •   + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToConnect,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) ‘WindowsUpdateProvider’ with UI culture(s) {en-US} : Unable to
retrieve the HelpInfo XML file for UI culture en-US. Make sure the HelpInfoUri property in the module manifest is
valid or check your network connection and then try the command again.

• update-help -force
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToRetrieveHelpInfoXml,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

That just means there’s no updated help file available on the server. There’s nothing you can do.

Not EVERY module has updatable help online.

Sorry to ressurect an older post, but I see issues with this all the time and I’m dumbfounded. This is the first time I’ve seen an actual answer to why this happens, usually I just see the work around of tell it to silently continue which I don’t accept as why it is happening.

In a classroom environment with freshly built Windows 10 PCs and no custom installs done or anything out of the ordinary I see update fail all the time for some UI culture xml issue. Other forums have claimed this to be a network issue which doesn’t seem to be the issue because the help files do end up updated. But then it throws this error which confuses people to think that the update didn’t work. If there are modules without updatable help, why would update-help try to update them and cause errors? If it’s just the -force, I see these same errors happen without the force too.

Actaully, this answer is a known thing and is talked about all over the web. Well, you have to fine tune your search to see it, well, sometimes.

Anyway, if you really wan to know what is going on when you do this (or other things in the same vein), use the verbose switch. It’s a noisy screen dump response, but all the details as to why something failed is there.

Update-Help -Verbose -force

VERBOSE: Microsoft.PowerShell.Core: Updated C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US\System.Management.Automation.dll-Help.xml. Culture en-US Version 5.1.1.3
VERBOSE: Microsoft.PowerShell.Core: Updated C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US\System.Management.Automation.dll-Help.xml. Culture en-US Version 5.1.1.3
Update-Help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'AnyBox' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : Unable to connect to Help content. The server on which Help content is stored might not be available. 
Verify that the server is available, or wait until the server is back online, and then try the command again.
+ Update-Help -Verbose -force | Out-GridView
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToConnect,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

Update-Help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'AZSBTools, HostNetworkingService, WindowsUpdateProvider' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : Unable to retrieve the HelpInfo XML file for UI 
culture en-US. Make sure the HelpInfoUri property in the module manifest is valid or check your network connection and then try the command again.
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToRetrieveHelpInfoXml,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

Update-Help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'AADRM' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : The value of the HelpInfoUri key in the module manifest must resolve to a container or root URL on a 
website where the help files are stored. The HelpInfoUri 'https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/information-protection/administer-powershell' does not resolve to a container.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidHelpInfoUri,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

It’s really best to set this type of action as a scheduled take to happen weekly, hidden, so, you don’t have to worry about it or ever see it. As Don stated, update is what it is, nothing you can do about it.

Update-Help -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue