Update-Help constantly failing.

Currently learning PowerShell and while this isn’t a critical issue or stopping me from doing anything, it’s just annoying. Currently when I try to run update-help, I get back this error

update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) ‘WindowsUpdateProvider’ with UI culture(s) {en-US} : Unable to
retrieve the HelpInfo XML file for UI culture en-US. Make sure the HelpInfoUri property in the module manifest is
valid or check your network connection and then try the command again.
At line:1 char:1

• update-help
  • CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (:slight_smile: [Update-Help], Exception
  • FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToRetrieveHelpInfoXml,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

Now I can run

update-help -force -erroraction silentlycontinue
and all runs well and updates but it’s weird that I have to force the update. Is this something that is fixable? Google search is not netting me much in terms of answers. Thank you!

Unfortunately not. The WindowsUpdate module was not written by the PowerShell team themselves, and the help URI that they packaged with the module was never pointed to a valid updatable help package, so it cannot update its help.

They’re working on addressing that with the MS Update product team, last I hear, but it’s been that way a long while already.

Oh wow, that makes sense now. Thanks for letting me know!