V3 italian

by [audiogalaxy] at 2012-09-06 16:59:04

Hallo, I read about V3 (here http://richardspowershellblog.wordpress … -download/ ) and I see there is an EN-EN or EN-US version … I think I could install it on a Win7 SP1 ITALIAN … but I would like to know if it’s planned a range of regional versions (italian, chinese, dutch, german, french, arabic … and so on) …

where could I check what’s planned?

thanks! :slight_smile:
by DonJ at 2012-09-06 18:25:29
Microsoft will make localized versions, mainly involving the help files, available at some point in the future. They haven’t made any announcements about the timeline for doing so.
by [audiogalaxy] at 2012-09-07 17:14:07
thanks donJ.
It’s a bad idea for me to install an EN V3 on an ITA Win7 SP1 ?
by DonJ at 2012-09-07 17:26:30
I’ve no idea if its a bad idea or not, unfortunately. The help files don’t install with PowerShell; it downloads those from the Internet. I’m not sure what other changes, if any, are made to PowerShell that might create problems. I’ve never used a non-EN system ;).
by [audiogalaxy] at 2012-09-14 15:50:23
[quote="DonJ"]I’ve no idea if its a bad idea or not, unfortunately. The help files don’t install with PowerShell; it downloads those from the Internet. I’m not sure what other changes, if any, are made to PowerShell that might create problems. I’ve never used a non-EN system ;).[/quote]

Did you mean about the update-help cmdlet?
by DonJ at 2012-09-14 16:00:10
Yes, Update-Help will download the help files, and is capable of downloading localized help if it’s available. Save-Help, also.
by juneb_msft at 2012-09-14 16:14:30
I can help here. Yes, it’s safe to use the Update-Help (or Save-Help) cmdlets to download the en-US files on a localized version of Windows 7 SP1.

By default, Update-Help looks for help files in the locale that is set for the system. If they’re not available for the system locale, it looks for files in the parent language (e.g. en for en-US), and if they’re not available in the parent language, it uses the Windows fallback API to find help topics in any fallback language.

But you can also use the UICulture parameter of Update-Help (or Save-Help) to direct Update-Help download help files in any language in which they are available.

For example:
Update-Help -UICulture en-US

If you request help files in a language that is not available, Update-Help fails and displays an error message that lists the languages in which the help files are available.

Get-Help is designed to get the help files in the language that is installed on the system, or in any fallback language. Problems with this feature have been reported and we’re working on resolving them.

And, to answer your question about Italian help files, we’re working with our international partners to determine which languages have the greatest demand. We’re looking for feedback from users (like you!) to let us know which languages are needed most. I’ll be sure to pass this particular request to our team.

Hope this helps!
by [audiogalaxy] at 2012-09-14 16:27:55
thanks June (and DonJ) !

How can you determine how many people are demanding a language?
If there is a place where I could give you some feedback I’ll be glad to do it! :slight_smile:

In general should everybody download an EN version and then use hpdate-help or is it better to wait for a complete localized version?
by juneb_msft at 2012-09-14 16:34:29
I think it’s best to start with an en-US version, because they’re already available for most modules.

I’ll ask how users can register a request for modules in a particular language and let you know. We probably need a blog post on that subject, too.

Thanks so much for the question. And your English is just fine. :slight_smile:
by [audiogalaxy] at 2012-09-14 16:52:41
thanks! :slight_smile:
by juneb_msft at 2012-09-17 08:41:24
I’ve discussed this with our Localization Team and we’ve agreed to track help localization requests on Connect.

1. Please go to http://Connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell.
2. Click "Report a Bug".
3. Click "Localization Bug".
4. File a bug. Include the language name, such as "Italian" in the title.

I’ll be tweeting this and including it in a blog post, too. So thanks for the question and for your patience.

If you ever have trouble understanding the English help, please write directly to me: juneb@microsoft.com, and I’ll help or find a native Italian speaker to help you.
by [audiogalaxy] at 2012-09-27 15:39:31
[quote="juneb_msft"] […]
I’ll ask how users can register a request for modules in a particular language and let you know. […]

[/quote]

Hallo! :slight_smile: Any news here? :slight_smile:
by [audiogalaxy] at 2012-11-09 15:45:03
[quote="juneb_msft"]I’ve discussed this with our Localization Team and we’ve agreed to track help localization requests on Connect.

1. Please go to http://Connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell.
2. Click "Report a Bug".
3. Click "Localization Bug".
4. File a bug. Include the language name, such as "Italian" in the title.

I’ll be tweeting this and including it in a blog post, too. So thanks for the question and for your patience.
…[/quote]

done!