Where is all the help gone???

by surveyor at 2012-09-18 09:57:34

OK, after new installation of my workstation, because there were no chance to install WMF 3.0, I’m trying a little bit with the new features of the PowerShell 3.0.

OK, I’m trying to try because
[list]
[]Where is all the help gone? update-help seems to bring a bit, but not the help I’m searching for. (scheduled jobs, workflows)[/]
[]I’m missing the german help. It’s needed!!![/]
[]I’m missing all of the about_ helps. get-help about_ shows nothing. get-help about_workflow shows nothing.[/*][/list]
It’s terrible. Microsoft has thrown out an unready product!

PowerShell 2.0 has welldocumented features and functions, even in foreign (for US) languages. And it comes ready to use after installation. So everybody can learn it and PowerShell 2.0 was great!

I think that the PowerShell 3.0 team does not love documenting (who does?) and Microsoft does not love german, french, italian, spain (yes there are a lot other countries! :slight_smile: and so on.

I hope this will be much better until Windows 8 comes out. But there is only one and a half month!
by yodafett at 2012-09-18 11:49:34
Actually, from what I understand, Windows 8 and Server 2012 have BETTER working PowerShell 3. PS3 isn’t even REALLY released for Win7/Server 2008 yet. -snip-

*EDITED to remove incorrect info on my part.
by DexterPOSH at 2012-09-18 14:25:10
Hi surveyor,

PowerShell 3.0 doesn’t come up with inbuilt help. But you can use the two new cmdlets to get the up to date help to your system.

Update-Help # use this to update the help on your system, if connected to internet.
Save-Help # use this on a system with internet access to save the help files and then use the saved help files to update help on a system with no internet (using update-help again)

P.S. - just check the online help page for these two cmdlets to get a better picture :slight_smile:

Hope it helps
Regards
by DonJ at 2012-09-18 14:45:12
Windows 8 isn’t yet considered "here rally available." Help translation is underway. Relax. It’ll happen.

Your statements are unfair to the hardworking folks writing the help files. Worse, they’re misinformed and inflammatory. Microsoft has repeatedly said that late October is GA; just because you’ve been given earlier access doesn’t alter that.

Be calm. Give folks time to do their jobs. The code was only finalized a few scant weeks ago. Would you rather have accurate help written to the final code, or "help" written months ago that’s wrong?
by juneb_msft at 2012-09-18 15:15:19
Thanks to Don for the thread alert and to everyone for taking the time to post.

As the previous posters explained, Windows Powershell 3.0 is not quite ready, but we have lots of documentation already available online. And, new for Windows PowerShell 3.0, you can actually download updated help files to your local computer so they’re ready for Get-Help. Try the Update-Help and Save-Help cmdlets.

Jens, on a localized version of Windows, including the Deutsch (de-DE) version, Update-Help automatically tries to download de-DE help files, and we don’t have them yet. But you can use the UICulture parameter of the Update-Help cmdlet to download files in English, if that’s useful to you.

For example:
Update-Help -UICulture en-US

Now, there’s a known issue with the Get-Help cmdlet. Unfortunately, it’s not finding en-US help files on non-English versions of Windows, even when English is a fallback for the locale. The team knows about it and considers it to be a high priority fix.

In the meantime, you can read all of the help topics in the TechNet Library. Use Get-Help -Online, or go directly to the Windows PowerShell topics in the library at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=107116.

I’m really glad that people are interested in learning our newest features. You can read about Scheduled Jobs here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr … 47863.aspx, and about Workflows here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr … 47767.aspx and here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr … 34242.aspx.

Now, it’s certainly not true that we don’t like other countries. All of us care deeply about all of our users and partners worldwide. Localization (professional translation tailored to a particular culture) is really expensive, so we want to spend our money wisely. We’re gathering data from our international affiliates to make sure that we provide localized documentation based on user demand.

To register your demand, please file or vote for one of the language-based bugs on Connect. Here’s the German one: https://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShel … rshell-3-0.

I hope that answers a few of your questions. I’ll be watching this thread, so please feel free to post follow-up questions.

P.S.
>>I think that the PowerShell 3.0 team does not love documenting (who does?)
I do. – juneb
by surveyor at 2012-09-18 23:18:27
Hi all,
big echo for a little cry…

I don’t want to frustrate the PowerShell-Team!

I love PowerShell from 1.0 on. Maybe I’m misinformed about the fact, that WMF 3.0 is not the endversion. For me english is the foreign language and maybe I have misunderstood all the messages which said "WMF and PowerShell 3.0 are out!!!". :wink:

My thought was that this is the first approach to powershell for many many administrators and if the ready version of PowerShell comes with Windows 8 at the end of october microsoft should say that a little bit louder and clearly.

I can wait for the endversion because all my "old" 2.0-scripts are working with PowerShell 3.0 and that is the only thing I’m interested in. :slight_smile:

And last but not least, Hi June! Your are the first person in the world I know of who loves documenting. :-))
by RichardSiddaway at 2012-09-19 05:19:21
Windows 8 is available on TechNet/MSDN
WMF 3 is available for download for Windows 7, 2008 R2, 2008

The help, as explained above, is partially available.

One of the frustrations with any help system is keeping it up to date. The updatable help system will aid enormously in that revised help can be made available. Unfortunately writing documentation lags development because you can’t complete the documentation until after the product is complete.

My experience with the PowerShell team is that they are totally committed to getting people the documentation they need - it will come.
by surveyor at 2012-09-20 04:00:34
Is there a list if and what modules (like the new ScheduledTasks) will be not available for older OS than Windows 8/2012?
by surveyor at 2012-12-03 09:31:16
Is there a timeline when a usable offline-help will be available? German help would be nice but english help is a must have!

And yes, I’m doing update-help lots of time. But what for?
by Aleksandar at 2012-12-05 14:36:20
What happens when you run Update-Help -UICulture en-US -Verbose -Force?
by Peter-Kriegel at 2012-12-10 22:43:49
@Aleksandar dont forget to mention that Update-Help needs to run elevated as Administrator!

@surveyor
I have done a 3 part article series about the use of Update-Help, Save-Help and the Problem with the UI culture IN GERMAN!
To read my Blog in other languages i provide a translate Button (Google translate)

The First Article is mainly the short translation of the English documentation of the cmdlets.
PowerShell 3.0 updateable help Update-Help, Save-Help und Get-Help grundlagen
http://www.admin-source.de/BlogDeu/497/powershell-3-0-updateable-help-update-help-save-help-und-get-help-grundlagen

The second Article describes how to get the English Help files on a non English System by use of the UI Culture, because there is only English help for now.
There are also a few hints how to use the German 2.0 Help files with PowerShell 3.0.
PowerShell 3.0 updateable help Update-Help, Save-Help und Get-Help anwenden
http://www.admin-source.de/BlogDeu/523/powershell-3-0-updateable-help-update-help-save-help-und-get-help-anwenden

the third Article is not online yet it describe how to update the Help files in a corporate enterprise with Proxy support.
This is based mainly on the wonderful Idea from PowerShell MVP Ravikanth Chaganti
http://www.ravichaganti.com/blog/?p=2501
by RichardSiddaway at 2012-12-11 03:15:28
Replying to surveyor regarding PS 3 modules that won’t be available on Windows 7 and earlier

I haven’t seen anything official but I would assume that any of the CDXML modules won’t be made available because they are reliant on new WMI classes that, as far as I know, won’t be made available on older clients
by surveyor at 2013-05-04 08:15:01
Does anyone knows, when PS 3.1 or PS 4.0 comes with a working get-help for german language?

Is there a switch to switch off get-help locally and get help allways from internet? At the moment I even need to go to get-help -online or google to find information.

Switching the UI to another "culture" is no solution.