Updating help not working

Trying to update Help gives me the following responses:
S C:\Users\pledbetter> Update-Help -UICulture en-US
Update-Help: Failed to update Help for the module(s) ‘DefenderPerformance, Dism, Get-NetView, Kds, NetQos, PcsvDevice, Pester, PKI, Whea, WindowsUpdate’ with UI culture(s) {en-US} : One or more errors occurred. (Response status code does not indicate success: 404 (The specified blob does not exist.).).
English-US help content is available and can be installed using: Update-Help -UICulture en-US.

I think you can safely ignore those, based on the error, it’s stating it couldn’t find updated help files. Though to be certain you might have to just update that specific module using Update-Module -Name $Module to see what specific error it throws. I was able to reproduce (specifically for Pester). I think with some modules they just don’t support updateable help. This post: update-help fails for ‘ConfigDefenderPerformance, PSReadline’ -UICulture en-US. · Issue #17067 · PowerShell/PowerShell (github.com) corroborates my thoughts on it as well.

It might be because the version of the module installed as an out-of-date Help info. You can try to update the module as well (or install a new version) and in some cases that might resolve it. In many cases there won’t be a new version of that module.

In some cases (like PSReadLine) it’s a different issue: Updating help for the PSReadLine module in Windows PowerShell 5.1 - PowerShell Team (microsoft.com) . That sais, I don’t see PSReadline in your list, so this is mostly just ‘extra’ info.

Lastly, if you just want it to return pretty w/ no errors:

Update-Help -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

Note that all this does is ignore the errors.

1 Like