OnRamp

Hello everyone, hope you are doing well. I plan to attend the next Summit in 2019. A coworker suggested the new OnRamp program might be good for me. In the brochure for OnRamp it says

“If you’re uncertain if OnRamp is right for you, we encourage you to log on to https://powershell.org/forums/forum/powershell-summit/ and post a new topic. Describe your experience and background, and we’ll be happy to help you make the right choice”

The link gives me a 404. Would this forum instead be an appropriate place to start this topic?

Thanks a bunch,

Hi Tamara, I have passed this along to our webmaster to figure out where the Summit forum went off to / where the correct place to post is.

Actually, right here is the right place ;). We just reorganized the forums.

Ok great! I will post here then.

Firstly, is the OnRamp ticket type going to be an additional cost or the same price as a regular Summit ticket?

I’m also unsure if OnRamp is right for me, since it said no Powershell experience is required. There’s definitely nothing wrong with going over something I think I already know, I just don’t want to be bored in OnRamp so I’d like someone else’s opinion. I guess on to “describe my experience and background” then!

I’m a Windows sysadmin with a bit over 5 years professional experience. I operate under a devops philosophy. I am very comfortable using Powershell to do simple administrative tasks like looking up AD information. I have committed several small tools to our admin tools repo that do simple things like cleanup disk space, check remoteapp server availability, read errors from remote files, etc. I am also pretty comfortable with simple automated tasks like reading data from CSVs and using it to set user properties in AD, checking AD group memberships for auditing purposes, or getting information to and from Sharepoint lists. I would really like to be able to have more experience writing my own functions, use custom APIs, understand more “theory” of Powershell so to speak, and gain insight into the “right” way of doing things. I imagine a lot of what I do is a roundabout way of accomplishing my goal, or just not the prettiest way of doing it. I would probably call myself a beginner, but not a novice. I have a pretty good mentor at work. I can go to him with most “how do I” questions, but he is young like me and still learning too. We with both be attending Summit, which we’re excited about!

Do you think OnRamp something I would benefit from? Really appreciate the input, and have a wonderful week!

Same price, but a different ticket type.

OnRamp is going to cover substantively the same material as “Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches;” I’ve no doubt you’ll learn new stuff, but it does seem a little below your level. I think the main Summit track might actually be more beneficial, especially the additional “Intermediate/Practitioner” content we’re lining up for '19. We’d certainly love to have you!

Thanks for the info, Don! I’ve got my ticket & travel in our budget now. :slight_smile: Hope you see you there!