Learn PS 3 or 4?

Hello,

Now that PS 4 is the newest version, should I get the book “Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches”?
Wouldn’t that be a waste of time and money in this situation? Sould I wait for a book on version 4 instead?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Szarka Istvan - Start now, don’t wait. Heck, if you had dev or scripting experience I would point you at PowerShell in Action 2nd Edition, still my favorite PowerShell book.

If you start learning with an older version (2 or later), you will be fine - what you learn almost always carries forward. Go for ps in a month of lunches 3, it will be helpful!

If you start learning with the newer versions, you should be aware that if you rely on newer language features or commands, they will break compatibility on systems running PowerShell version 2. For example, I love the new [pscustomobject] type accelerator, but I have to force myself to not use it because I generally target PS2 and later systems (it won’t work in PS2).

Good luck!

The book is good for 3 and 4. 4 really just adds a few things, most of which are either very advanced and wouldn’t be in that book anyway, or are just alternate means of doing something. So no, not a waste of time. PowerShell versions so far have added, but not changed or taken away. In fact the book is pretty valid for v2 also.

Thank you for your answers, I’ll go for the Month of Lunches book. It was recommended in the PowerShell jumpstart video on MVA, but I wasn’t sure about it because of the new version.
It’s gonna be a very exciting month :slight_smile: