DSC Configuration Size

I may have gotten carried away with DSC here…

My configuration is over 3000 lines, and when I run Start-DscConfiguration I am getting this:

VERBOSE: Perform operation 'Invoke CimMethod' with following parameters, ''methodName' = SendConfigurationApply,'className' = MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager,'namespaceName' = root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration'.
The WinRM client sent a request to the remote WS-Management service and was notified that the request size exceeded the configured MaxEnvelopeSize quota.
    + CategoryInfo          : LimitsExceeded: [root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String] [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80338111
    + PSComputerName        : HoofHearted

VERBOSE: Operation 'Invoke CimMethod' complete.
VERBOSE: Time taken for configuration job to complete is 0.648 seconds

Reducing the size of the configuration to below 1000 lines makes the error go away, which makes me wonder if there’s a limit to a configuration size.

You can tweak the MaxEnvelopeSize setting on the receiving machine’s WsMan: drive. It isn’t based on lines, though, it’s based on size - e.g., bytes. You should bug this in Connect, though. It might be that a larger default size should be used now that DSC is using this to transmit potentially large files.

That said, the vision is that you’d be using Pull, not Push, which definitely avoids this entirely. This isn’t a limit on configuration size, it’s a limit on what the WinRM service is willing to choke down in one go.

OK, the error was a good indication of what was wrong. Increased the limit for WSMan on the MaxEnvelopeSize and got it working.

This post my Jeffrey Snover helped (give that guy a raise!):
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2010/05/03/configuring-wsman-limits.aspx

Thanks for the reply, Don. I’ve made the suggestion in Connect:
https://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedbackdetail/view/1039717/wsman-maxenvelopesize-limits-dsc-configurations

Command:

Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\MaxEnvelopeSizekb 10000

Old post but the information is still relevant. I had recently updated my Configuration Management from using a DSC Pull Server to utilizing a 3rd party tool and was running into this error often as my DSC configuration file grew.

Good to know.
-Michael