WMF5 Feb edition won't install

Hi
My win 8.1 pro Surface2 can’t install WMF5. A bit of digging revealed that its because the preview is for EN-US installs only. Mine is set to Ireland. I got around this by setting my environment up as American and downloading a 150 mb language pack for “american English”.

I can cope with this for now, but I won’t be able to do this on my production servers. Has anyone else run into this issue or am I doing something stupid?
Does anyone know when this preview will be ready for general release to the great unwashed?

I need to get my teeth into DSC. This could revolutionise the business I work for.

Thanks a mill
Jeff

WMF5’s license explicitly prohibits installing it on production servers, so that shouldn’t be a problem :). Keep in mind that WMF5 is extremely preview-beta-not-done. It doesn’t belong on production servers.

The public release hasn’t been announced, and it may very well tie to Windows Server v.Next, which is a 2016 release. Or, it could release on its own between now and then. Microsoft hasn’t said. But you can start using DSC with WMF4, which is production-readier.

Wow. That’s what I call a prompt reply.
I’ll plough ahead with WMF4 on my Win2012r2 servers.
I’ve watched the DSC MVA with Snover &Helmick on channel 9 which is based on WMF5 so hopefully I can retrofit this into WMF4

Great job with this website Don et al.

Yeah, they argued a lot about using 4 or 5. 5 won.

Our “The DSC Book” is actually a good v4 starting point. If you don’t see something in there, it’s probably v5-specific.

I’ll check that book out. Thanks again

You can get some of the new benefits if you’re running Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1 and you have KB3000850. That’s an update rollup that includes some patches for DSC; we’ve been referring to it in the community as “DSC 1.5”.

You don’t get class-based resources, but you can use DependsOn with composite resources, set DebugMode in the LCM, and apply configurations that were compiled on a system with WMF 5. (There are probably other improvements as well; I’m just naming the big ones that I remember off the top of my head.)

The patch isn’t available for Server 2012 or Server 2008 R2 yet, but I assume that it will be at some point before WMF 5.0’s official release.