The CIM namespace root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration is invalid.

Hi,
I am trying to just add a feature to a remote server with DSC and am receiving this message. It works fine locally but not on the remote server. Here is the entire message:

The WS-Management service cannot process the request. The CIM namespace root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration is invalid.
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (root/Microsoft/…gurationManager:String) , CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80338000
+ PSComputerName : servername

I think I have all of the permissions on the remote server, but perhaps I need an agent? The remote server is Windows 2012, not R2.
Thanks in advance for any help, I’m pulling my hair out :wink:

I am not using this with Configuration Manager.

That namespace is not present on the RTM version of Windows Server 2012

Have you installed WMF (PowerShell 4) on the 2012 server - that may install the namespace

Is WMF 4.0 installed on the remote server?

ah that would do it, thanks both that replied.
Do either of you know where I can find:

• requirements for DSC (DSC and clients/settings etc)
  • any electronic books on DSC
  • is anyone busy writing a book on PS 4.0?
    Thanks!

The server DSC requirements are handled when you install the DSC feature

The “client” requirements are to install WMF 4

There are no ebooks that I’m aware of on DSC

Books are being written on PowerShell 4

Thanks.
I am ready to start creating a pull method, but cannot figure out what I need for a Windows 2008 R2 server as a “client”. I have installed the WMF 4 on the test 2008 R2 server. Can you help?

p.s. I am not using SCCM or Configuration Manager.
Thanks!

You need to configure the LocalMachineManager - check out Steve Murawski’s blog posts on this site

I’ll keep looking but have not found anything. Thanks.

Can anyone direct me further? I am having a heck of a time trying to push anything to a Windows 2008 R2 server. Nothing seems to work.
Thanks!

The WS-Management service cannot process the request. The CIM namespace root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration is invalid.

This problem appeared when I implemented

Powershell Module Logging

The following fix solved the issue : https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/kb/3062960