Search Application event with a specific word

Search Application event that contains a specific word in the message event.

get-eventlog Application | where-object {$_.Message -Contains 'MSXML'} | select -first 1 | FL 

I have also tried the -match but no outcome.

From the GUI

-contains is for checking if an array contains an object. As you correctly suggest, you should be using the -match operator. Changing your code to use -match worked OK for me.

Get-EventLog Application | Where-Object {$_.Message -Match 'MSMXL'} | 
    Select-Object -first 1

However, Get-EventLog is deprecated, so perhaps you’ll have more luck with Get-WinEvent

Get-WinEvent -LogName Application | Where-Object {$_.Message -match 'MSXML'} | 
    Select-Object -First 1

Okay. It works. Thank you so much Matt!
So that means -match operator allows the script to just find that word in the message of the event.
But -contain fails because it is not an array.
Just want to understand the difference.

When I tried with another logname (System), I am getting an error message.

-match looks for a regular expression (regex) pattern in a string.
-contains checks if a collection, such as an array, contains a value.

PS E:\Temp> 'I am a string' -contains 'string'
False
PS E:\Temp> 'I am a string' -match 'string'
True
PS E:\Temp> @('I','am','an','array') -contains 'array'
True

See Get-Help about_Comparison_Operators for more information.

1 Like

Does it work for a different Event ID?
I’ve not seen that error but from a quick search, it can occur if the event message contains ‘%% followed by a long number’.

You should also look at the help for Get-WinEvent and use a filter hashtable, rather than getting all the events then passing them to Where-Object.

1 Like

Simple and well understandable. Thank you Matt!

Here is an example.

I will try the Hashtable to see if it will work.

It looks like when using Get-WinEvent the event ID name has changed from InstanceID (Get-Eventlog) to Id

I have tried the Hastable still getting an error with the System event. It Looks like the new command is not so easy.

Please, when posting code and error messages, copy and paste the text, using the </> button. Images are not, in most cases, very helpful.

What operating system are you running this on, and what is the output of $PSVersionTable?

I am using Windows 10 version 21H2.

Ok, same version here and it’s working fine for me.

I think I would backup (if required) and then clear the event log and see if that resolves the problem.

Okay, I see. I will stick on the deprecated version then until the new version works for me.

Thank you Matt looking into this.

FWIW, I get results along with the same error, but I used:

Get-WinEvent -LogName 'System' | Where-Object {$_.ID -eq 1074}

Very odd …

This works now :upside_down_face:

Get-WinEvent -LogName 'System' | Where-Object {$_.ID -eq 1074}

ProviderName: User32

TimeCreated                      Id LevelDisplayName Message                                                                                     
-----------                      -- ---------------- -------                                                                                     
2/10/2022 6:27:20 PM           1074 Information      The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (DESKTOP-JTQHNDS) has initiated the pow...
2/8/2022 12:00:02 AM           1074 Information      The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe (DESKTOP-JTQHNDS) has initiated the restart o...
1/24/2022 11:58:02 PM          1074 Information      The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe (DESKTOP-JTQHNDS) has initiated the restart o...
12/16/2021 2:56:58 PM          1074 Information      The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-JTQHNDS) has initiated the shutdown...
12/16/2021 2:55:00 PM          1074 Information      The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (DESKTOP-JTQHNDS) has initiated the res...
12/9/2021 8:13:13 PM           1074 Information      The process C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe (DESKTOP-JTQHNDS) has initi...
12/8/2021 5:29:52 PM           1074 Information      The process C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-JTQHNDS) has initiated the restart ...

Thank you Tonyd!!!

Hmmm … I just get the expected output with:

$FilterHashTable = @{
    LogName = 'System'
    ID      = 1074
}

Get-WinEvent -FilterHashtable $FilterHashTable