Script the password for -Credential?

by AevnsGrandpa at 2013-03-20 11:44:24

Hope you all are not getting tired of my posts and yes I have done some searching to see if I can find a thread about what I need so…

I am remoting into a number of servers using the New-PSSession cmdlet and pulling the server names from a text file. Is there anyway to script the password like I am doing with the account name? I have 14 servers in the list and gets a bit tiresome putting in the password 14 times.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
by coderaven at 2013-03-20 12:06:45
Look in to the Get-Credential command and saving it to a variable

$Creds = Get-Credential
$ServerX = New-PSSession -ComputerName ServerX -Credential $Creds
$ServerY = New-PSSession -ComputerName ServerY -Credential $Creds

or
$Creds = Get-Credential
Invoke-Command -ComputerName ServerX, ServerY -Credentials $Creds -ScriptBlock { … }

If you search for Get-Credential and saving to file, there is a way to pull the password from file, just make sure you can do this in a secure way.
by poshoholic at 2013-03-20 12:07:47
Sure, that’s easy.
$username = 'foo'
$password = 'bar'
$credential = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList $username,(ConvertTo-SecureString -String $password -AsPlainText -Force)
by poshoholic at 2013-03-20 12:09:44
FWIW if you are running interactively, I prefer Allan’s approach, and that’s what I use in practice. But if you want to run unattended, you can put in a password without getting prompted for anything, and like Allan said, just make sure you’re pulling the password from a secure location.
by AevnsGrandpa at 2013-03-20 13:05:51
Thanks and I want to run unattended, I am going from my domain joined laptop and wanting to run some scripts on a number of firedwalled workgrouped servers. I think Kirk’s way will do it.

Jeff