-replace, regex and using data from the current entry.

I have two parts of code in a html variable I am trying to edit. The first part is to set all values of 0 to be have a green font colour. I have done this using the following code.

$Post = $Post.Replace(“html td tag”‘0’html td tag,"html td tagstyle=’ color: green’>0html td tag")

What I am trying to do now is set the same code “any number over 0” to red. I have tried $Post = $Post -replace(“html td tag[1-9]html td tag”,“html td tagstyle=’ color: red>$1html td tag”) but this does not seem to work. Is it not possible to use $1 and $1 in this way or am I just doing it wrong?

you use $1 inside double quotes, you should escape it as `$1 or use single quotes

$Post = $Post -replace("html td tag[1-9]html td tag","html td tagstyle=' color: red>$($1)html td tag")

If you wish to use a variable inside quoted text, preface it with $( ) with your variable including the $ again inside the brackets. So: $($1)

EDIT: i’m still not entirely sure what you’re trying to do… as I’m not sure what $1 is equal to. could you post the current text on one line. what you’d like the text to be as a result, and explain again what you need ?

Brian

Oliver, the problem appears to be that you are using .Replace rather than -replace. The -replace operator uses RegEx

$Post = @"
html td tag'0'html td tag
html td tag'1'html td tag
html td tag'2'html td tag
html td tag'3'html td tag
"@

$Post

Write-host "----------------"

$Post = $Post.Replace("html td tag'0'html td tag","html td tagstyle='color: green'")
$Post

$Post = $Post.Replace("html td tag'[1-9]'html td tag","html td tagstyle='color: red'")
$Post

$Post = $Post -replace ("html td tag'[1-9]'html td tag","html td tagstyle='color: red'")
$Post

Results:

html td tag’0’html td tag
html td tag’1’html td tag
html td tag’2’html td tag
html td tag’3’html td tag

html td tagstyle=‘color: green’

html td tagstyle=‘color: red’

besides, for $1 usage it is need to select matching captures with ()

$Post = $Post -replace(“html td tag([1-9]) html td tag”,“html td tagstyle=’ color: red>$1html td tag”)

PS D:\> $post = 'html td tag1html td tag' PS D:\> $Post -replace "html td tag([1-9])html td tag","html td tagstyle=' color: red>`$1html td tag" html td tagstyle=' color: red>1html td tag PS D:\> $post = 'html td tag4html td tag' PS D:\> $Post -replace "html td tag([1-9])html td tag","html td tagstyle=' color: red>`$1html td tag" html td tagstyle=' color: red>4html td tag