PowerShell ISE $PROFILE

Hi!
I have been making some scripts and some modules.
Now i am setting up my $PROFILE and was wondering, what do you guys put in your profile?
Any tips for me about what to put in here?

Thanks, Sigurd.

This is really a matter of need. So, you will end up with a wide ranging set of responses. Only put in what you need / desire that you use on a daily basis.

You’d have a different configure for the console profile, ISE profile and a VSCode.

I personally use a single profile config and in that template, put logic to check what editor / console in use and branch to what I want loaded. so, this way I really only have one profile to config / manage and backup. Since it is the same info in all named profiles.

Example:

# ISE baseline tools
If ($Host.Name -match 'ISE')
{
    Import-Module -Name ISEModuleBrowserAddon
    Start-Sleep -Seconds 9
    Import-Module -Name PsISEProjectExplorer
    Import-Module -Name PSharp
    Import-Module -Name ClassExplorer

#Script Browser Begin
    #Version: 1.3.2
    Add-Type -Path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Corporation\Microsoft Script Browser\System.Windows.Interactivity.dll'
    Add-Type -Path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Corporation\Microsoft Script Browser\ScriptBrowser.dll'
    Add-Type -Path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Corporation\Microsoft Script Browser\BestPractices.dll'
    $scriptBrowser = $psISE.CurrentPowerShellTab.VerticalAddOnTools.Add('Script Browser', [ScriptExplorer.Views.MainView], $true)
    $scriptAnalyzer = $psISE.CurrentPowerShellTab.VerticalAddOnTools.Add('Script Analyzer', [BestPractices.Views.BestPracticesView], $true)
    $psISE.CurrentPowerShellTab.VisibleVerticalAddOnTools.SelectedAddOnTool = $scriptBrowser
    #Script Browser End
}

# Console Baseline tools

Import-Module -Name PSReadline
Import-Module -Name Posh-SSH
Import-Module -Name ModuleLibrary -DisableNameChecking
Import-Module -Name ClassExplorer

# Set working path
Push-Location -Path 'D:\Scripts'

# Additional tools 

# Custom Prompt

You will still have 3 profiles for the different environments, but the info in them are identical. So, I only make changes in my profile template and copy that to the three profiles on my system.

Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1
Microsoft.PowerShellISE_profile.ps1
Microsoft.VSCode_profile.ps1

I use the same approach on my servers, but with the additional module adds depending on server role. I.e., SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, IIS, AD, etc…

Here is an example of one of the ways I use my PS profile script.
http://www.loganboydell.tech/windows-powershell-realizing-your-profiletential/