That fancy VSCode...

So I went ahead and downloaded the free VSCode to give it a test drive, and so while this question isn’t directly PowerShell related, I figured I’d ask the group here in case anyone else is coding with it for their PS needs.

One of the “niceties” of ISE is that little window on the bottom that is essentially just an open PS session. I can easily, while smashing away like a mad scientist, simply cut-n-paste a snippet of code “down there” and make sure it’s doing what I think ti will. Now VSCode has these really fancy things like pester, and debug entries and other fancy test automation … but is there something as simple as a session window I can open for a fast and dirty test?

I often feel like VSCode is like going back to wordperfect … tons of options if you happen to have all the various hotkeys memorized and I need a keyboard cutout to place over my function keys … (am I showing my age?).

So how on earth does one actually just “try a quick snippet of code” in VSCode?

The short answer for now? Copy and paste it into an open powershell session.
David Wilson was on the MS Dev Show talking about powershell in VS code, how to get the intellisense stuff working etc, and also what the future vision is for powershell in vscode. I think a console was discussed, though I don’t remember exactly
https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/msdevshow/Episode-81-PowerShell-in-VS-Code-with-David-Wilson

Thanks for the answer!

I’m finding myself torn between ISE and VSCode now. I really like the project/folder navigation with git integration on the right of VSCode, but I really miss having that bottom PSShell from ISE (as well as silly things like being about to collapse parenthesis).

Guess we’ll see which gets a faster release cycle :slight_smile:

REPL is reportedly coming. There’s also the ability to highlight a snippet and execute it (F8, same binding as ISE).

There is a Project Explorer for ISE but no GIT.

This post was the second time in a few days I came across VSCode, so I gave it a try. The first thing it reminded me of was Sublime Text, but a little slower. Then I listened to that podcast that Liam mentioned, and he mentioned the same text editor, so I now know where they got the inspiration from :wink:

For day to day operations I like ISE better for now, as it’s a little faster for me. I also didn’t like it that much that it took over all kinds of file associations including plain text files without asking. I missed the show command window and powershell window too.