PoSh v5 Console History down arrow not working after previous command entered

Hello all,

First time posting so please be patient with me, hopefully I have properly conveyed my issue. When I am using Powershell v4 on Server 2008, I am able to use the up arrow to scroll through the history and enter a previous command. For instance, I enter three commands in succession in the console (example below with just setting variables, not a real-world example but reproduces the working scenario). Once entered I can then hit the UP arrow three times and enter the first command again. After entering, I have the capability to use the DOWN arrow to access the subsequent two commands that had been executed.

Since moving to PoSh v5 on Win10 I no longer have this capability of using the DOWN arrow after using UP to execute a previous command, only the up arrow will work. I can’t seem to locate any good information that speaks specifically to having the same capability in the history to cycle down through subsequent commands. Any chance someone knows if this capability can be recovered on PS v5? Thanks in advance.

Working example on PoSh v4:

PS C:\Users\user\desktop> $testvar1 = 1
PS C:\Users\user\desktop> $testvar2 = 2
PS C:\Users\user\desktop> $testvar3 = 3
PS C:\Users\user\desktop>
  • at this point I hit the up arrow 3 times to get back to first command
PS C:\Users\user\desktop> $testvar1 = 1

*I am now able to use down arrow one time and enter the second command, then down arrow one more time to enter command 3

PS C:\Users\user\desktop> $testvar2 = 2
PS C:\Users\user\desktop> $testvar3 = 3
PS C:\Users\user\desktop> $PSVersionTable

Name Value
---- -----
PSVersion 4.0
WSManStackVersion 3.0
SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1
CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
BuildVersion 6.3.9600.19170
PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0}
PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.2

PS C:\Users\user\desktop>

Command History has not changed much that I’m aware of, but there aren’t many settings outside of updating the buffer to store more or less commands. There is some additional history functionality that you should take a look at that could help: