Missing cmdlets in PowerShell ISE

On occasions I find that some cmdlets disappear altogether from the ISE Intellisense list thus causing the following error

Start-EC2Instance : The term ‘Start-EC2Instance’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is
correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1

• Start-EC2Instance -InstanceId i-2c5a73a2f3dc4a1a2 -Verbose -ProfileNa …
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Start-EC2Instance:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

In order to resolve this, I have to restart the ISE.

Is this a known issue with the ISE?

I’ve not run into it myself, but the ISE has some oddities for sure. You’re really meant to be switching to VS Code, these days - ISE is end of life.

Thanks, am considering that as ISE can be a bit flaky at most. It’s just so quick to launch though. :slight_smile:

As a user of both on Windows, and others, then VSC on Mac/Linux.
(though the ISE has been my default for years, and will be for the foreseeable future until what I need is possible in VSCode.)
(PowerShell Studio for major projects)

VSCode has it’s own oddities and issues as well. So, one is just trading one set off for another. Crashes, forced restarts, intelli-sense stops for no obvious reasons.

For example, on one of my main work systems, as of recent VSCode and Windows updates. VSCode will no longer run (using F8 or F5) functions created in it, from the script editor in the VScode host mode - the ISE-like environment. I leave the editor as is, switch from integrated to console, and it runs. I’ve changed noting, just accept and apply updates. I still have not figured out root cause yet. even uninstall and reinstall does not repair it. Right now, I am donw to removing extensions one at a time, to see if it is one of them. Painful, very painful.

Yet, it’s all about choice and what you are will to deal with / tolerate.