Managing AV Updates with PowerShell

by bradadair at 2012-12-14 05:18:33

I have a question, we are having issues with making sure that our AV definitions remain current on all of our endpoint systems. I was hoping to use a PowerShell login script to check the virus definitions version and run an update if needed each time the user logs on. We are using Trend Micro OfficeScan as our AV solution. Has anyone done this or something similar and had it work? I am not looking for a completed script just for something to get me started on the right track. Is there an API or PowerShell Module for Trend Micro? Any assistance would be appreciated.
by MattG at 2012-12-15 07:07:11
I doubt there’s any PowerShell module out there to accomplish this. If you wanted to do this with PowerShell in an automated fashion you would first need to determine the mechanism by which to query a client for installed definitions and Trend Micro’s server for new definitions. Should you decide to go down that route, I would start by firing up Wireshark and explicitly requesting an AV defintion update. If the protocol looks simple enough then you could certainly utilize PowerShell to automate the query process. Second, if TrendMicro has an enterprise AV solution, then I’m sure they would expose some sort of API.

Sorry I don’t have a better solution for you but I just don’t know TrendMicro AV well enough.