Manage a domain from another domain & add a local user to the domain

Hello everyone Cool,

Hope you could help me, i really dispair :'(.

I explain my case :

• I have my computer which is in a domain and 2 servers (srv1 & srv2) in another one and they are in the same forest, they can ping each other, at this side everything is allright.

As i can’t install AD services on my servers, i have to manage them from my machine with powershell.

First, is it possible to manage this other domain from my current domain on my machine ?

• Next, in the other domain, i have a local user on srv1 and i would like to declare him in the domain of srv1 & srv2 to be visible from srv2, it’s just an access question for my problem.

I can just list the user from srv1, list all group and users from the domain but i can’t select him from srv1 and if i can create a script which manage this, i could resolve my problem.

Your lights will be really helpful for me, thanks you very much. Big Smile

Are you saying that you can’t run Active Services Web Services (ADWS) on the servers that you would like to connect to? You will need that service started in order to run the PowerShell commands from your workstation.

Ok, now assuming you have access to the servers in the other domain then you can manage the other domain just as you do your own. You will need to use the -server variable to define the server you are connecting to.

Your second question sounds like you are trying to add a user on srv1 (in domain 1) to a group in srv2 (domain 2) but aren’t able to. My guess is that the group is a domain level group and you aren’t able to add the user because of that. You will need to make the group a Universal group in order to add the user. If i have understood the question incorrectly please forgive me.

Are you saying that you can’t run Active Services Web Services (ADWS) on the servers that you would like to connect to? You will need that service started in order to run the PowerShell commands from your workstation.

=> My workstation works fine, i can execute all commandlets only on the current domain i’m in. And from this workstation, i would like to realize actions on my servers.

Ok, now assuming you have access to the servers in the other domain then you can manage the other domain just as you do your own. You will need to use the -server variable to define the server you are connecting to.

=> I tried this option and it seems the service is not running on this machine =/ i have to make the necessary to be reacheable from my workstation. Thanks for that =)

Your second question sounds like you are trying to add a user on srv1 (in domain 1) to a group in srv2 (domain 2) but aren’t able to. My guess is that the group is a domain level group and you aren’t able to add the user because of that. You will need to make the group a Universal group in order to add the user. If i have understood the question incorrectly please forgive me.

=> A little mistake at my side (sorry about that) : my srv1 is in the same domain than my srv2. Specifically, i have a local user on srv1 and i would like to add him on srv2. Do you think, having a universal group can fix that problem ? I’ll try it thanks very much ^^