Issue creating DSC pull server

Hi,

I’m trying this out on my home’s virtualised servers and have run into a problem with creating the pull servers. I’ve created a new VM with Windows Server Core 2012 on and done some of the usual settings up like joining domain, latest updates and getting PowerShell 5 on. I’ve not come to run the scripting part for creating the pull server but get the below error:

At line:32 char:7 + IsComplianceServer = $false + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The member 'IsComplianceServer' is not valid. Valid members are 'AcceptSelfSignedCertificates', 'CertificateThumbPrint', 'ConfigurationPath', 'DependsOn', 'EndpointName', 'Ensure', 'ModulePath', 'PhysicalPath', 'Port', 'PsDscRunAsCredential', 'RegistrationKeyPath', 'State'.

This is the code it’s executing as per lots of how-to guides tell me it should be:

Configuration Assert_DSCWebService
{
param (
[ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
[String] $certificateThumbprint
)

Import-DSCResource -ModuleName xPSDesiredStateConfiguration

Node localhost
{
WindowsFeature DSCServiceFeature
{
Ensure = “Present”
Name = “DSC-Service”
}

xDSCWebService PSDSCPullServer
{
  Ensure                  = "Present"
  EndPointName            = "PSDSCPullServer"
  CertificateThumbprint   = $certificateThumbprint
  PhysicalPath            = "$env:SystemDrive\inetpub\wwwroot\PSDSCPullServer"
  ConfigurationPath       = "$env:ProgramFiles\WindowsPowerShell\DscService\Configuration"
  ModulePath              = "$env:ProgramFiles\WindowsPowerShell\DscService\Modules"
  Port                    = 80
  IsComplianceServer      = $false
  State                   = "Started"
  DependsOn               = "[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature"
}

xDSCWebService PSDSCComplianceServer
{
  Ensure                  = "Present"
  EndPointName            = "PSDSCComplianceServer"
  CertificateThumbprint   = "AllowUnencryptedTraffic"
  PhysicalPath            = "$env:SystemDrive\inetpub\wwwroot\PSDSCComplianceServer"
  Port                    = 81
  IsComplianceServer      = $true
  State                   = "Started"
  DependsOn               = "[WindowsFeature]DSCServiceFeature"
}

}
}

Any help?

Make sure you’ve got the latest version of the xPSDesiredStateConfiguration module. If you get it with Install-Module, you should be fine.

Sorry Dave I should have mentioned I’ve made sure it’s the latest already :frowning:

VERBOSE: Skipping installed module xPSDesiredStateConfiguration 3.10.0.0.

v5 doesn’t have a compliance server; it was replaced with an enhanced Reporting Server. See Removing ComplianceServer · Issue #93 · dsccommunity/xPSDesiredStateConfiguration · GitHub.

Oops, turns out I didn’t have the latest version. :slight_smile: I was looking at 3.7, which still had the IsComplianceServer property.

Thanks @DonJ, looks like I have a bit more Googling to do to figure out what I need to do with WMF and Reporting Servers.

No probs @dlwyatt these days you’re probably out of date the day after importing something lol

Found the guides I needed and will give it a try later on!

https://www.florinloghiade.ro/2016/02/powershell-dsc-building-a-pull-server-on-wmf-5/