Installing MSI Using DSC Package Resource

Im trying to install a Netbackup msi Client file using the DSC Package Resource with the following code and I get this error on the client:

DSC Engine Error " Error Message Could not find mandatory property DestinationPath. Add this property and try again. Error Code: 6

If I remove the Package NetbackupConfiguration then the remaining code works ok.

Configuration EOCWebApp
{
 Node $AllNodes.Where {$_.Role -eq "TestWebApp"}.nodename
  {
   # Install Prequisites
   Windowsfeature Backup
    {
     Ensure = 'Present'
     Name = 'Windows-server-Backup'
    }
  Package NetbackupConfiguration
    {
     Ensure = "Present"
     Name = "NetbackupCOnfig"
     Path = "e\packages\NetBackup_7.7.1_Win\PC_Clnt\x64\Symantec Netbackup Client.msi"
     ProductID = "58FF8212-0BBC-434B-8837-2C1B60F7BE90"
   } 
 }

Node $AllNodes.Where{$_.Rode -eq "UATWeb"}.nodename
 {
  # Install Prequisites
  Windowsfeature Backup
   {
    Ensure = 'Present'
    Name = 'Windows-server-Backup'
   }
 }
}

$MyData =
#mode code here..

That error is being floated up from the installer engine. I’m guessing the package MSI doesn’t define a default install path, so unless you can provide one in some other way (perhaps modifying the MSI itself), it can’t run. It may also be attempting to access a user-specific path, which won’t exist under the LCM’s execution context.

Maybe the path is wrong?
Path = “e\packages\NetBackup_7.7.1_Win\PC_Clnt\x64\Symantec Netbackup Client.msi”

Did you try adding two points? to the “e:” , example: ???
Path = “e:\packages\NetBackup_7.7.1_Win\PC_Clnt\x64\Symantec Netbackup Client.msi”

Emito good catch however I just copied it incorrectly. My actual code has the the colon. Thanks for looking!

Actually the way Netbackup client is designed to install is by using a file called “silentclient.cmd”. In this file, there is a line that reads "SET INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\Veritas". This is probably what the installer engine that Don is referring to is looking for. But the error reads “Could not find the DestininationPath” so Im not sure if that is the same variable. Then at the bottom of this cmd file, there is a line that reads "setup.exe -s /REALLYLCOAL /RESPFILE:‘%RESPFILENAME%’ " which actually does the install.

So you would think I could just do path = "e:\packages\NetBackup_7.7.1_Win\PC_Clnt\x64\silentclient.cmd " but that gives me the same error. This is ideal but I wasnt sure if powershell understands .cmd files so thats why I just tried using the msi file. When I try running silentclient.cmd from a powershell command it says it doesnt know what a cmd file is.

The bigger question is should I even use Netbackup. Does Powershell DSC offer a decent bare metal backup solution for VMware backups?