Error in event viewer due to DSC

Hi All,

I have applications running in a 2012 server configured with DSC. In event viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application …I am seeing a particular set of error in every 30 minutes. Here is the error details :

Error 1 :

Application: wmiprvse.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.InvalidComObjectException
Stack:
at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(System.Object, IntPtr, IntPtr ByRef, Boolean ByRef)
at Microsoft.Web.Administration.Interop.AppHostWritableAdminManager.SetMetadata(System.String, System.Object)
at Microsoft.Web.Administration.Configuration.ReleaseNativeChangeHandler()
at Microsoft.Web.Administration.Configuration.Release()
at Microsoft.Web.Administration.ConfigurationManager.Release()
at Microsoft.Web.Administration.ServerManager.Finalize()

Error 2 :

Faulting application name: wmiprvse.exe, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54505614
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54505737
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000008b9c
Faulting process id: 0x1340
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0eb8e11cfb64a
Faulting application path: C:\windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f35edbef-5781-11e5-80c7-0050569c6c1c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID

As it is occurring in every 30 minutes, I believe it is due to DSC. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Aravinda

So, Wmiprvsr.exe is definitely the bit that “runs” WMI. And an every-30-minute failure certainly suggests a possible link to the DSC Local Configuration Manager’s 30-minute run cycle.

WMI is all native code, and it connects to PowerShell via a layer called Interop. The error is implying that the underlying native code threw an error that Interop was unable to recognize or deal with.

Unfortunately, with what you’ve provided so far, I can’t tell you any more. My suggestion would be to use the DSCDiagnostics module to enable debug tracing on the machine, and then wait 30 minutes until the error happens again. Then, check the DSC Diagnostics log in Event Viewer, and see if you can figure out what the LCM was attempting to do at the time, or if it generates anything more useful in terms of error messages.

That stack trace has a lot of references to Microsoft.Web.Administration. Do you have a configuration applied to this machine that’s using xWebAdministration or something similar?

Hi Dave,

Yes, We are using xWebAdministration module in the system to manage IIS sites.

Thanks,
Aravinda

Sounds like there may be a bug in in the WebAdministration or xWebAdministration modules (or something on your system that’s causing them to crash).