DSC Error : HRESULT 0x80041033

Hey Everybody!

So I just started using powershell and ps dsc. I want to do some testing of dsc between 2 computers and here is the dsc configuration that I am using:

configuration HelloWorld {
param ()
Node $computername
{

Create a Test File

File CreateTestFile
{
Ensure = “Present”
DestinationPath = “C:\Folder_Test\example.txt”
Contents = “Hello World.”
Type = “File”
}
}
}

So here are the steps I performed up to the error. First I ran that pasted and ran that function in a powershell console (of course as admin) which in turn created the mof. file which I had put in a folder on my desktop. I then proceeded to start the dsc configuration using this powershell command:

Start-DscConfiguration -Path C:\Users\UserFolder\Desktop\Bot1_Folder -ComputerName $ComputerName -Verbose -Wait -Force

Thats when I received this error:

The WS-Management service cannot process the request. The WMI service or the WMI provider returned an unknown error:
HRESULT 0x80041033
+ CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (root/Microsoft/…gurationManager:String) , CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80041033
+ PSComputerName : $ComputerName

The computer I am using to push the config is Windows 7 laptop with powershell(wmf) v5 installed and the remote client is a Windows 7 work station with powershell(wmf) v5 installed. Any ideas on why the error occurred?

I saw this random error many times in PS 5.0. Since upgrading to PS 5.1 the error has not returned. PS 5.0 is pretty bugged, I wouldn’t be using it.

the remote client is a Windows 7 work station with powershell(wmf) v5 installed.

Client SKUs of Windows do not have PowerShell remoting on by default. You need to run Enable-PsRemoting.

edit: well to be more specific: WinRM is not enabled by default on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. Run Set-WSManQuickConfig, in a Windows PowerShell elevated session, to enable WinRM. This step is included in Enable-PsRemoting but PsRemoting has some additional steps included.

And to be even fairer - this may not be the root issue! The error you’ve encountered is a generic WMI crash. But that part leaped out at me first, so I’d like to make sure it’s a step you already took before diving deeper :slight_smile: