Collecting data from an MS Outlook inbox

Two housekeeping items before the question:

1. I"m not a programmer/script writer so be gentle :slight_smile:
  2. I did do a general search on this forum and didn’t see anything related, Although I could have missed it.

Background, boss a month or so ago gave me the task of being responsible for going through a in box that we have setup that emails us back any bad email address along with the email address list that it came from.

Every email that comes to this inbox only holds one user and one email list.

For example: Bobby at mycompany com was returned from owner-employee@mycomany com

So what I’m hoping that can be done via a script is that who ever run’s it will enter the date they want to check, lets say search all emails in the inbox from November 21, 2022.

From the that list that is produced, let’s say 3 emails were found to have come in on November 21, 2022, with the following emails

sue at mycomany com was returned from Owner-newemployee2022@mycomany com
bob at mycompany com was returned from Owner-newemployee2022@mycomany com mark at yahoo com was returned from Owner-newemployee2020@mycomany com

I’d like the script to then create a plan text file and have some kind of data written to maybe like this:

Owner-newemployee2022 at mycompany com

sue at mycomany com
bob at mycompany com

Owner-newemployee2020 at mycompany com

mark at yahoo com

Then save that file to either a network share location or to the person that runs the report’s desktop

Any help would be appreciated

Mark

Hi Mark.

That sounds like an interesting script. What kind of help are you looking for? Please keep in mind this forum is for helping powershell users with their powershell code, it is not a script factory.

Is there a script factory? As I said I’m not a programmer and have no idea were to start?

MW

I’ve yet to find a script factory. :slight_smile:

I assure you that every programmer or powershell enthusiast all started with no knowledge. It takes research and time (backed by motivation.) A little trial and error never hurts either.

The Microsoft docs and training might be a good place to start.

There are many great blog posts out there as well. If you like books, learn powershell in a month of lunches is a great starter. The latest volume (4th edition I believe) has some pretty bad typos and errors, so you may look for 3rd.

Finally, if you like videos, Pluralsight has some good powershell courses and there are many YouTube videos. Those can vary in quality. There is a series called master class with Jon Saville that is quite popular.

1 Like

Thank you for the information and links

1 Like

No problem. I wish you the best of luck. If you’re making some progress and get stuck, feel free to post your code and what it does and doesn’t do.

I’m looking for a video series I believe was called “jump start for powershell 3.0” which was a Microsoft training production with Jeffrey Snover and Jason Helmick. Although they are a bit corny in it, and it was “for 3.0”, the fundamentals are mostly the same today.

If you can find any videos by Ashley Mcglone, Mathias Jessen, Tobias Wetner, or Don Jones - those are always helpful and well presented.

1 Like

This series.