Access too mailbox script.

Hi.

I am new to PowerShell.

Mostly, my workday consists of service desk calls and active directory administration. Lately I have grown more and more tired of the gui as my work tool, what I would like is to develop a script that can grant access to mailboxes while simultaneously giving the user a send on behalf right to the mailbox.

The organization I work for are using Active directory as a mailbox access, this does not grant the user full access in exchange. The forwarding sequence on the other hand is done in exchange.

This would save me, and others a lot of time.
As this is my first script, it would be wonderful if someone could give me some tips on how i should start this project.

Regards

Erlend.

I don’t quite understand “using Active Directory as mailbox access.” Exchange Server always uses AD accounts for access. I also don’t understand what “forwarding sequence” means.

I’m sorry…

But, presuming you are using Exchange Server 2007 or later, there are ample PowerShell cmdlets in the Exchange Management Shell that you can look into as a starting point. All of them come with extensive help and examples, using PowerShell’s Get-Help command.

“I don’t quite understand “using Active Directory as mailbox access.” Exchange Server always uses AD accounts for access. I also don’t understand what “forwarding sequence” means.”

The account for the mailbox itself is a User in AD, but access to the mailbox is regulated in AD as well, through groups. This means that only reading rights are granted in AD, while On behalf rights are done in exchange.

sorry if this was a little unclear.

I understand that it’s possible to run commands like Get-help, examples ect, i love the function. But for me, as a newbie i would like some help on where to start building the script.

Erlend.