Working in Out of Date Enviroment

I work for a Managed Service Provider and we just took on a client with a very messed up environment. The issue I am trying to work through now is that they are running a Native Mode 2003 AD and the most up-to-date DC’s in the environment are 2008 <Not R2> What do I need to install, short of updating the AD or Rebuilding it from scratch, do I need to be able to run an AD PowerShell Module to do some Recon on this AD. I really want to Export the GPO’s with out right clicking on each one. I want to do a lot of things that I would do on a more up-to-date AD but I am not sure how to get an AD PowerShell Module to work in this environment. I do not believe that just putting up a Jump Box with RSAT Tools on it and PowerShell 5.1 will work with a 2003 AD Will it???

Thank

Steve

You can use PowerShell to leverage existing Dot Net functions to query AD and report on whatever you need.
For example this one liner gets a list of domain controllers:

[system.directoryservices.activedirectory.Forest]::GetCurrentForest().domains.domaincontrollers | 
            select Forest,Name,CurrentTime,OSVersion,Roles,Domain,IPAddress,SiteName

or leverage LDAP to query AD via PowerShell. For example this lists enabled computer objects:

$adsi = [adsisearcher]"objectcategory=computer"
$adsi.PageSize = 1000000 
$adsi.filter = "(&(objectClass=Computer)(!userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))" # To return only the enabled computer objects
$adsi.FindAll() | foreach {
    $obj = $_.Properties
    [PSCustomObject][ordered]@{
        ComputerName = [string]$obj.name
        OSName       = [string]$obj.operatingsystem
        DN           = [string]$obj.distinguishedname
        AD_OU        = [string](($obj.distinguishedname) -replace '^CN=[\w\d-_]+,\w\w=','' -replace ',OU=','/' -replace ',DC=.*')
        LastLogon    = (([datetime]::FromFileTime([string]$obj.lastlogon)).ToShortDateString())
        ADCreated    = ($obj.whencreated).ToShortDateString()
    }
}