Where-Object -match -contains -like

I have this one-liner to try and discover only the Groups a User is a memberOf matching/containing/like this string: ‘T1_GOO666’

Get-ADUser -Filter {samAccountName -eq "my.Useraccount"} -Properties memberOf | Where-Object {$_.memberof -like ('T1_GOO666*')} |
    select memberOf -ExpandProperty memberOf

…and it comes up empty (there are a dozen groups with that name prefix). I’ve tried all sorts of various * wildcards, in front and in back of the ( ) and I never get just the groups with that exact prefix. I either retrieve those PLUS many others and I don’t see the string in those other (unwanted) results.

I’ve tried other operators, read as much as I can understand in the help files but would finally like to understand how to get exactly what I want in PowerShell using wildcards or otherwise partial string names.

Hi @Jeff Taylor - I tried with my own account and was able to return membership for groups matching the search criteria by doing the following:

(Get-ADUser -Filter “SamAccountName -eq ‘UserAccount’” -Properties *).memberof -like “GroupName

Hope that helps or guides in some manner.

Your Where-Object condition applies to the returned user object rather than the memberOf list. It is basically saying “if a user has a group matching the string, then return that user.” If you want the condition to filter the groups, then move your Where-Object after your Select-Object command because that is the first place you have asked to return a list of groups.

Yes, that is lean and clean thank you

I tried this but it still pulls in more than what I want:

Get-ADUser -Filter {samAccountName -eq "my.Useraccount"} -Properties memberOf | 
    select memberOf -ExpandProperty memberOf | Where-Object {$_.memberof -like ('T1_GOO666*')}

This worked for me:

Get-ADUser -Filter {samAccountName -eq "my.Useraccount"} -Properties memberOf | select memberOf -ExpandProperty memberOf | Where-Object {$_ -match 'T1_GOO666'}

Is there any reason you’re using Get-ADUser instead of Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership?

Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership <username> | Where-Object {$_.Name -like 'T1_GOO666*'}

This still returned more than what I was after but thank you for the suggestion

Thanks that worked as well Matt, thanks for the reminder on that cmdlet

I agree with @Matt that Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership is probably the better cmdlet to use if you are wanting to just return the groups the user is part of. You’ll be able to choose from the properties of those groups, such as name, DN, etc.

As for why your command is not returning anything, most likely due to the fact that memberof returns the distinguished name of the group. So you’ll need to either put a * or the identifier CN= in front of the search term.

{$_.memberof -like '*T1_GOO666*'}

or

{$_.memberof -like 'CN=T1_GOO666*'} 

Unless that search term is not the complete begining of that group name either should work. If you didn’t want the distinguished name then you’d either have to extract the name or look the group up again, both leading back to Matt’s suggestion.

Yep, I remember trying the CN= as well in all my earlier testing but finally got it sorted out with each of the two member earlier suggestions. Thanks Doug.