What is the use of -Functionality parameter in help

Hello Experts,

I was referring to the help for Get-Help cmdlet but unable to understand the use of -Functionality parameter present with Get-Help.

When I see the details about the same I see:

PS C:\Temp> help Get-Help -Parameter Functionality

-Functionality 
    Displays help for items with the specified functionality. Enter the 
    functionality. Wildcard characters are permitted.

This doesn’t explain clearly what does that mean. I don’t see any example to see how it works.

Can someone please help me understand this?

Pretty sure it’s useless - I’ll ashamedly admit that I’ve never put much effort into figuring it out. In PS v5.1 I get an error when I try to run it:

PS C:\> get-help -Functionality help

get-help : Unable to find type [System.Windows.Forms.Keys].
At line:1 char:1
+ get-help -Functionality help
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (System.Windows.Forms.Keys:TypeName) [Get-Help], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : TypeNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetHelpCommand

I also like that the documentation tells you it accepts wildcard character, and then contradicts itself:

PS C:\> get-help get-help -Parameter functionality

-Functionality 
    Displays help for items with the specified functionality. Enter the functionality. Wildcard characters are permitted.

This parameter has no effect on displays of conceptual ("About_") help.

Required?                    false
    Position?                    named
    Default value                None
    Accept pipeline input?       False
    Accept wildcard characters?  false

I thought I am the only one who didn’t know the usage of this parameter. I was training few candidates on PowerShell and someone asked me what is the use of this parameter during the class and I was stumbled. I told him that I don’t know and I will find out and let them know.

Still, I can’t find the answer :slight_smile: