WebDownloadManager error occurring during consistency check.

I’ve got 3 Web Farms setup, and I’m using DSC to manage the configuration of these farms through a pull server.

Everything has been humming along for month now, but today I started getting errors in the DSC event log on one, of the six servers in this farm.

So, in other words, 5 servers are successfully checking the same guid.mof on my pull server. And just this one is throwing the following error.

EventID: 4104
Job {E375A349-171A-4212-B830-8BD15FDF5BC1} :
This event indicates that failure happens when LCM is trying to get the configuration from pull server using download manager WebDownloadManager. ErrorId is 0x1. ErrorDetail is A generic exception occured during the importing of Download Manager module WebDownloadManager.

I’ve tried to rerun the task manually a few times, but the same error just keeps occurring.

Trying to understand exactly what is the ‘WebDownloadManager’ so that I can troubleshoot it.

The WebDownloadManager determines how the LCM on your server is should pull the latest configuration. The WebDownloadManager pulls from a DSC website. The FileDownloadManager pulls from a file system directory/SMB share.

How are your other servers configured? Use Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager to check.

They all use the WebDownloadManager.

Where is this ‘module’ so that I can figure out what is wrong with it on this single server?

What module?

Exactly! From the error.

“ErrorDetail is A generic exception occured during the importing of Download Manager module WebDownloadManager.”

A reboot has fixed the problem, but it sure would be nice to be able to identify a root cause.

Really not a fan of rebooting a high volume front end web server to stop a consistency check error. Especially since I know there have been no configuration changes to the box.