Using DSC with domain credentials

I am trying to get DSC to work with operations that require a domain account for access. For instance, I would like to add a domain group to the local administrators group.

First, you have to use a credential.

But when I specify one, I get the following exception “error processing property ‘Credential’ OF TYPE ‘LocalConfigurationManager’: Converting and storing an encrypted password as plaintext is
allowed only if PSDscAllowPlainTextPassword is set to true.”

I am unable to find where to set that variable, but I feel like I should be doing something to keep the password from being in plain text.

I looked in the source code for PSDesiredStatConfiguration and it looks like I should be able to set a CertificateID, but that did not work either.

Here is the code that I am trying:

$password = Get-Content .\securestring.txt | ConvertTo-SecureString
$credential = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList "DOMAIN\dscuser",$password
$certificate = Get-ChildItem cert:\LocalMachine\My | where{ $_.Subject -eq "CN=$($env:COMPUTERNAME).domain.com" }

Configuration ServerProvisioning
{
    Node "*"
    {
        LocalConfigurationManager
        {
            CertificateID = $certificate.Thumbprint
            Credential =$credential           
       }

Group AdminGroup
        {
            Ensure ="Present"
            GroupName = "Administrators"
            MembersToInclude = "domain\admingroup"
        }
    }
}

ServerProvisioning

Does anyone have an example of using a domain credentials that works?

Keep in mind that DSC is still very much in beta - you probably need to be a bit careful about chasing an error too far, as it might just be unfinished code at this point. I’m gonna ping Steve Murawski, though, because he’s been working with this a lot.

Encrypting secrets (like passwords) will require a certificate. There aren’t any samples out there about how to configure that, and I haven’t went far down that hole, since as Don mentioned, these are early bits and not production ready (and there could be changes down the line).

I think that PSDscAllowPlainTextPassword might be in the LocalConfigurationManager meta configuration. I’ll spin up a box with WMF3 and take a peek.