Unable to use credential objects within DSC

I’ve been basing my head against this for a bit and can’t seem to find out what I’m missing. I’m trying to use the xSqlServerSetup resource to install SQL Server to two nodes. I’ve got this DSC config file that I create. Here’s my script call:

$sqlnodes = @('PICARD','RIKER')
. C:\Temp\SQLDSC.ps1 -SqlNodes $sqlnodes -SetupCredential $DomainCred -SqlSvcAccount $sqlsvccred -AgtSvcAccount $sqlsvccred -SqlAdmins 'STARFLEET\Domain Admins'

All the “cred” objects are PSCredential objects. When I run it, I get the following errors:

System.InvalidOperationException error processing property 'SetupCredential' OF TYPE 'xSQLServerSetup': Converting and storing encrypted passwords as plain text is not recommended. For more information on securing credentials in 
MOF file, please refer to MSDN blog: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=393729
At C:\Temp\SQLDSC.ps1:74 char:9
+   xSQLServerSetup
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Write-Error], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FailToProcessProperty,ConvertTo-MOFInstance
    + PSComputerName        : PIKE
WARNING: It is not recommended to use domain credential for node 'PICARD'. In order to suppress the warning, you can add a property named 'PSDscAllowDomainUser' with a value of $true to your DSC configuration data for node 'PICARD'.
System.InvalidOperationException error processing property 'SetupCredential' OF TYPE 'xSQLServerSetup': Converting and storing encrypted passwords as plain text is not recommended. For more information on securing credentials in 
MOF file, please refer to MSDN blog: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=393729
At C:\Temp\SQLDSC.ps1:74 char:9
+   xSQLServerSetup
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Write-Error], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FailToProcessProperty,ConvertTo-MOFInstance
WARNING: It is not recommended to use domain credential for node 'RIKER'. In order to suppress the warning, you can add a property named 'PSDscAllowDomainUser' with a value of $true to your DSC configuration data for node 'RIKER'.
Errors occurred while processing configuration 'SQLServer'.
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (SQLServer:String) [], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FailToProcessConfiguration

What is driving me crazy with this is I’ve declared this as part of a ConfigurationData hash table, but it doesn’t seem to recognize it. What am I missing here?

Full DSC script:

Additional: When I specify the Node name in the config data, it works just fine, so:

$config = @{AllNodes = @(@{
                        NodeName = 'PICARD';
                        PSDscAllowPlainTextPassword = $true;
                        PSDscAllowDomainUser = $true;
                        })}

So I guess the question is how do I get the config data to apply to all my nodes without specifying each node name?

You’ve already got your list of node names in the $SqlNodes array, so you can just use a loop to make sure they’re all in the ConfigurationData hashtable:

$config = @{
    AllNodes = @(
        @{
            NodeName = '*'
            PsDscAllowPlainTextPassword = $true
        }

foreach ($sqlNode in $SqlNodes)
        {
            @{ NodeName = $sqlNode }
        }
    )
}

Thanks Dave, that handles it. Wish I knew why the ‘*’ didn’t work.