SxS modules

Hi Folks,

I’ve installed two versions of a module like below.

Directory: C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands
---------- -------    ----                                ----------------
Binary     2.4.0.44   ISESteroids                         {Add-SteroidsContextMenuCommand, Add-SteroidsEditorTabComm...
Binary     2.3.0.64   ISESteroids                         {Add-SteroidsContextMenuCommand, Add-SteroidsEditorTabComm...

Is it safe to assume the newest version of the Cmdlet will always run?

PS Library:\> gcm -Module isesteroids

CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source
-----------     ----                                               -------    ------
Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsContextMenuCommand                     2.4.0.44   ISESteroids
Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsEditorTabCommand                       2.4.0.44   ISESteroids
Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsLicense                                2.4.0.44   ISESteroids
Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsTextChange                             2.4.0.44   ISESteroids
Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsTool                                   2.4.0.44   ISESteroids

Thanks,

Michael

it is not safe to assume that the newest version will always run. June Blender has a great presentation covering version chaos. The powerpoint and scripts are in github GitHub - juneb/AvoidVersionChaos: Slides and code from "Avoiding Version Chaos in a Multi-Version World" presentation

Thanks Jonathan, I was not at the conference but follow June on Twitter. I did flick through these when June put them up but forgot about them since.

I reviewed the slides again and like you said you get the first version of the module discovered that meets the specification.

So some of the suggestions . . .

• Use the -version parameter with Import-Module

• Remove-Module when no longer needed

• Use the module qualified name, for example: PSCX\Expand-Archive