Hostname : PC0101
Clustername : ClusterA
IPaddress : 10.10.10.101
Folder : \server\vmpath\ActiveDesktop

Hostname : SVR0101
Clustername : ClusterB
IPaddress : 10.10.10.121
Folder : \server\vmpath\ActiveServer

$output |Foreach-object { if($_.Hostname -match ‘^P’) {select-object -property Hostname, Clustername} }

Nothing happens

$output |select-object -property Hostname, Clustername |where {$_.Hostname -match ‘^P’}

It works.

Can someone point to me where is the issue?

Sam,

when you post code, error messages, sample data or console output format it as code, please.
In the “Text” view you can use the code tags “PRE”, in the “Visual” view you can use the format template “Preformatted”. You can go back edit your post and fix the formatting - you don’t have to create a new one.
Thanks in advance.

Select-Object needs an InputObject. Either by pipeline or explicit. You do not provide any input object in your first code snippet. ;-} You may (re-)read the help for the cmdlet including the examples to learn how to use it.

BTW: The subject you choose does not fit your question at all in my opinion.

$output |Foreach-object {$_ | if($_.Hostname -match ‘^P’) {select-object -property Hostname, Clustername} }

It still doesn't work.

You still aren’t providing it input. You can’t pipe input into if. If your condition is true in your first example, the code that executes is

select-object -property Hostname, Clustername

There is no input. You eat up the piped input with the foreach, now provide it back to Select-Object.

$output |Foreach-object { if($_.Hostname -match ‘^P’) {$_ | select-object -property Hostname, Clustername} }

So many of the built in examples could’ve answered this question. It may make it easier if you name your variables explicitly.

foreach($item in $output){ if($item.Hostname -match ‘^P’) {select-object -inputobject $item -property Hostname, Clustername} }

Hopefully this helps.

please provide input that will work for you