Show page count in folders

I do work as a translator and proofreader, and I regularly need to add up page counts in the documents I’ve worked on. I have all such work in a folder with numerous subfolders, but I also use things like DropBox, Box, Mega, pCloud and others to store such work. That means I can need to open the folders or documents on numerous different computers.

It is possible to manually add page count to the list of displayed properties in a folder, but it is a monumental pain in the fundament to have to do so for every folder on every computer, especially since that manual setting does not always stay put.

Is it possible to do this with PowerShell? I would like to put such a script into the root folder, run it and have ALL subfolders modified to show page counts. I’ve used both PS and VBS to do all sorts of automated tasks, but I haven’t found any way to do this, with either one. I would also like to make the page count be the second column in the display, instead of at the right-hand end, and then manually have to move it to the left.

I found this question interseting and played with the columns in Windows Explorer. It looks like doing this is easy for Microsoft Office documents by adding Pages and Slides to the view, I had no luck with others. Please post a solution if you find one. Thanks.

“easy for Microsoft Office documents by adding Pages and Slides to the view”

Do you mean manually selecting the column headings in Explorer? Yes, that’s easy to do by hand, but a bloody nuisance to do repeatedly, for many folders. I’m looking for a way to automate it.

Why don’t you set it as default for ALL your folders?

You want the count in the folder name?

Why don’t you set it as default for ALL your folders?
That would also be good. Do you know how to do that? I don't. Only when using a pre-defined template can I check the box "Use for all subfolders." That option is not available, or at least I don't know how to do it for a custom setting, like displaying page counts in the second column (or at all, for that matter).

The count of what? I’m not sure what you mean here. What I have used up to now is displaying the Page Count property for all files in a folder. Naturally, some don’t have that, but Word docs do, and they contain most of my work in this.

OK, this worked for me to add the columns to all folders (of type documents). Again, it appears to only work for Office documents.

Open Windows Explorer
Select the top level folder you want to add the columns to
Add your columns of choice
Select a blank area in Explorer and select “Customize this folder”
Select the folder type, I chose “Documents”
Select the check box to apply this template to all subfolders
Select OK
On the ribbon, select Options/Change Folder and search options
Select the View Tab
Select “Apply to folders”

Since this is Windows, your mileage may vary :slight_smile:

Worked for me as well. Thank you.