Select -expandproperty and other attributes

So I know I can do this and get the expanded properties of a value

get-msoluser -userprincipalname test@test.com  | select -expandproperty licenses

However I want to run through all of my users and see what they are licensed for. I need to use -expand property because some of the users are licensed for multiple items and it doesn’t show them all if I don’t expand the property. But I can’t expand the property and get say UPN so I can link up the username to the licenses.

What’s the best way to get both the expanded property and the single valued attribute?

You can’t really do both at the same time. You’ll want to get your users and then enumerate them in a ForEach. That’ll get you your user information; within the ForEach, you can expand out licenses on a per-user basis.

It’d be helpful to know what kind of output you’re thinking of - I’d be able to offer something more concrete.

I figured that was the case.

I just want an output of userprincipalname and licenses, here is an example of what one user looks like if I run this:

get-msoluser -All | select licenses, userprincipalname

Licenses UserPrincipalName

{domain:MCOMEETADV_GOV, domain:VISIOCLIENT_GOV, Domain:PROJECTCLIENT_GOV, … username@domain.com

So, I’m guessing what you don’t like about the current output is the {} syntax used to show a collection of licenses.

I would go through each user, and expand their licenses. For each license, I’d output a new object having the UPN as one property, and a single license as another property. That will get you something a bit more like what you want.

The {} is fine, it’s that if there are more than 3 licenses it cuts off the rest of them. I’d actually prefer the whole collection expanded to each individual UPN but I am fine with doing something like this:

UPN License

test@domain.com domain:MCOMEETADV_GOV
test@domain.com domain:VISIOCLIENT_GOV
test@domain.com Domain:PROJECTCLIENT_GOV

I think I have some code I hijacked from the internet to give me AD group memberships report that does something similar to this, I will look into it. I’m still very new to custom objects, at least ones that require foreach statements :wink:

Yeah, so keep in mind that PowerShell wants to deal with objects. It’s not a report generator. You could use Group-Object or something to re-group things by user. But the output above is what you’re going to need to be happy with ;).

# Assuming $users has your users
# Assuming $users.upn is the UPN, $users.licenses is licenses
ForEach ($user in $users) {
 ForEach ($license in $user.licenses) {
  $props = @{'UPN'=$user.upn
             'License' = $license}
  New-Object -Type PSObject -Prop $props
 }
}

Something vaguely like that.

Thanks Don, that helped a lot. For clarification is the $license variable taking whatever value is in $user.licenses.accountskuid?

For anyone else who might run into this in the future here is what I did to get everything working:

$Users = Get-Msoluser -all 

ForEach ($user in $users) {
 ForEach ($license in $user.licenses.accountskuid) {
  $props = @{'UPN'=$user.userprincipalname
             'License' = $license}
  New-Object -Type PSObject -Prop $props
 }
}

No, it’s taking whatever is in $licenses, which would be $user.licenses. You’d need to further enumerate accountskuid or any sub-properties.

Ok, that’s what I thought. In my code I enumerated further with the accountskuid and got exactly what I needed.

Thanks again for your help.