Remove NTFS permissions multiple users and folders

I am working on a powershell script that will be removing NTFS permissions to many folders at once via a csv that has the users for that folder.

I am running into an issue with the last part which is the $variable.removeaccessrule($accessrule). I am getting the following error when testing the script:

Exception calling “RemoveAccessRule” with “1” argument(s): “Some or all identity references could not be translated.”
At C:\scripts\Remove_explicit_Full Control_use.ps1:13 char:2

• $acl.RemoveAccessRule($AccessRule)
  • + CategoryInfo         : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : IdentityNotMappedException

Here is the script I am working with:

$sprdsheetdir = "C:\scripts\exports\ftproot2" #directory where users csv resides
$folderdir = "C:\scripts\Testing" #directory where folders needing perm change
$sheets = get-childitem $sprdsheetdir
$folderdirs = get-childitem $folderdir

foreach($sheet in $sheets)
{
$test = import-csv “C:\scripts\exports\ftproot2$sheet”
$acluser = $test.IdentityReference
$acl = foreach($folder in $folderdirs){get-acl -path “C:\scripts\Testing$folder”}
$AccessRule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule($acluser,“FullControl”,“ContainerInherit,ObjectInherit”,“None”,“Allow”)
$acl.RemoveAccessRule($AccessRule)
$acl | set-acl -Path “C:\scripts\Testing$folder”
}

After I have run the script and get the above error. I check to see what is stored in the $AccessRule variable and I get the following:

FileSystemRights : FullControl
AccessControlType : Allow
IdentityReference : domain\user1 domain\user2 domain\user3 domain\user4 domain\user5
IsInherited : False
InheritanceFlags : ContainerInherit, ObjectInherit
PropagationFlags : None

which is what I am expecting. I have a script that does reference a .csv and is able to remove the users, but it is only for one folder. I have close to 200 in this one directory I need to remove explicit permissions and doing it one at a time is not really optimal.

I am sure the script could be written cleaner, but, it is working up to this one point. I would greatly appreciate any and all input on what I am missing or need to alter to get this to work.

Chris,
Welcome to the forum. :wave:t4:

Before we proceed could you please help us by formatting your code, sample data, console output or error messages as code using the preformatted text button ( </> ). Simply place your cursor on an empty line, click the button and paste your code.

Thanks in advance

How to format code in PowerShell.org <---- Click :point_up_2:t4: :wink:

1 Like