Problem with creating output files based on user's home location

Hello all, first time posting on the forums (so please forgive any mistakes :slight_smile: ).

I currently have two different powershell scripts that my department uses based on the the location of the user (US/India). The only difference is one has some different file zipping/transfer based on the location of some network drives.

I was looking to combine them into one with an IF statement based on the Get-WinHomeLocation function, compare value that back to pre-defined GeoIDs for the US and India, but I am having trouble qualifying the variable/object type of the GeoID to something useful that I can define.

#Define US/India GeoID's 
$USID = 0xF4
$IndiaID = 0x71

#Determine GeoID of user's computer
$GeoID = Get-WinHomeLocation
#$GeoID = 0xF4

#Addiitonal script for US users.
if ($GeoID -eq $USID) {

Write-Output "Hello GreenMonkies!"

}

I have tried casting the GeoID to a string, an Int32 (based on the Set-WinHomeLocation literature I read). Any help on how to either assign the “$USID” variable to something that can be compared to the GeoID or another way to achieve this funcitonality would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

greenmonkies,
Welcome to the forum. :wave:t4:

The return value you get from the cmdlet Get-WinHomeLocation is not a HEX value. It is an object with two properties - GeoId ( what’s an [INT] ) and HomeLocation ( what’s a [STRING] ).

So your code could be as simple as that:

$WinHomeLocation = Get-WinHomeLocation
if ($WinHomeLocation.GeoId -eq 244) {
    Write-Output 'Hello GreenMonkies!'
}

But you can use the output more directly if you like … like this for example:

$WinHomeLocation = Get-WinHomeLocation
"The current GeoId is '$($WinHomeLocation.GeoId)' and the according Location is '$($WinHomeLocation.HomeLocation)'."
1 Like

Olaf, thank you for this! It is exactly what I was looking for. I was using the information on Microsoft’s website and I guess I didn’t understand that the “Outputs” section referred to properties I could reference from the Get-WinHomeLocation object. I do see that this link does not show the HomeLocation property listed. Is there a more comprehensive resource easily available for Powershell? I looked at the guide in the open discussions page, but didn’t see anything about the Get-WinHomeLocation cmdlet.

Regardless, thank you again for the help!

Seems like you have found a bug in the documentation. I’d recommend to file this bug on GitHub to get it fixed.

Usually the official help is the most reliable source of information about a particular cmdlet. But the PowerShell team are only humans … the do make mistakes sometimes. :wink:

In this case you should have noticed when you simply run the command in the console.

Get-WinHomeLocation

From looking at the GitHub document, it does not seem as if it is meant to be comprehensive, but instead more exploratory to help build fundamentals. I can certainly help point out that it is missing information about the Get-WinHomeLocation cmdlet if that is not the case.

Very understandable that there are gaps in the official help. I think the biggest problem is my relative lack of experience in Powershell and not knowing that the GeoId and HomeLocation were referring to properties I could call from the Get-WinHomeLocation cmdlet.

Again, thanks for the help, sometimes it’s hard to know what you don’t know until someone points it out :grin: