Running scripts in any computers

by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 06:11:57

Hi,

I want to create a script that runs no matter where they are in the computer.

Example:

Computer 1

User have: C:\Scripts\Working\PSmain_script.ps1
Inside that script, there’s a command to run another script in the same directory ".\PSdir_script.ps1".

After testing the script, the user sends those two scripts files to another user by e-mail.

Computer 2

The other user recieves the mail then save the scripts to C:\Temp\ directory.
PS: This user has a PowerShell profile with the command "Set-Location C:" in it.

So… when he tries to run the script it gives an error telling that the ".\PSdir_script.ps1" wasn’t found, because there isn’t any file in the C:\ called "PSdir_script.ps1".

I’ve tried to use the "Get-Location", but it always gave me the "C:" path, no matter the source of the script.
Any 1?

I’m trying to use this solution to get my script working:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=794
by powerschill at 2012-11-26 06:17:45
You can use the following code to retrieve the location of the script that is being executed:

$ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split-Path -parent
by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 06:27:36
Hi, thanks for the quick response, but I get this error:

"PS C:\Active Directory> $ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split-Path -parent
Split-Path : Não é possível associar o argumento ao parâmetro ‘Path’ porque ele é uma cadeia de caracteres vazia.
No linha:1 caractere:76
+ $ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split …
+
~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:PSObject) [Split-Path], Parameter BindingValidationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SplitPathCommand

PS C:\Active Directory>"

Error in english: Split-Path : Is not possible to associate the argument to the parameter ‘Path’ because it is a null chain… or something like this =p
by powerschill at 2012-11-26 06:30:38
You have to put that code in the script that calls the other script. It won’t work from the command prompt.
by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 06:43:44
I’ve created a script with the line you gave to me:

Import-Module ActiveDirectory
$ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split-Path -parent
$ScriptDirectory
pause

Opened Windows Explorer, went to the "Active Directory" directory and clicked twice in the test.ps1 file.
The result of the $ScriptDirectory variable is the "C:" and not the "C:\Active Directory" folder.
by powerschill at 2012-11-26 06:51:43
[quote]Opened Windows Explorer, went to the "Active Directory" directory and clicked twice in the test.ps1 file.[/quote]

You aren’t able to double-click a PowerShell script to execute it. Did you make any changes to your system to make this possible?
by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 07:31:07
How I’m not enabled to do that?
I always use my scripts in that way…

I only choose to open in PowerShell all the ps1 files…
by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 07:35:57
It worked!
What happened is that the command you gave me removed the directory that I wanted to be used: "C:\Active Directory"

"$ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split-Path -parent"
So I removed that part and tested like that:

$ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent
$actualdir = $ScriptDirectory.Remove(0,2)
cd $actualdir
dir

Thank you so much :smiley: