PowerShell version 4 on Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller

Hi there, I have Windows Server 2008 R2 domain/forest functional level in my company. Since Windows Server 2008 R2 ships with PowerShell version 2 I would like to “upgrade” it (both powershell and powershell ise) on dc with all fsmo roles on it. I have already installed powershell ise via add features. If I download and install WMF version 4 that should be enough to upgrade powershell and powershell ise from version 2 to version 4. Obviously nothing is going to happen with AD module for powershell, it can not be upgraded since “new versions” of this module will work only on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 domain controllers?

Is everything I wrote above right?

Yes, installing WMF 4 is how you install PowerShell 4 and all its components. And correct, that will not change any of the OS-provided functionality, including the ActiveDirectory module. That module is part of the OS, not part of WMF.

Wow, Don Jones, I am honoured to have an opportunity to talk to you. Your Windows PowerShell Ultimate Training is absolutely awesome. I was not a big fan of PS but when I had to disable 100 users I started to learn PS. Yesterday I read lesson Using WMI commands to query the data, so I went through PowerShell core and PowerShell remoting completely. I am system engineer working with many technologies (domain services, exchange server, sql server, sharepoint, scom, sccm, vsphere, . . .) so knowing PS is a MUST. Would you mind to tell me how to contact you if I run into some problem related to these technologies and PS in particular.

Thank you very, very much in advance!

They are at the PowerShell Summit right now so he may not respond very quickly this week.

However you’re already in the right place Don runs this site and frequents these boards so this is the best place to contact him.

-VERN

Thank you! And Vern is right - this is the best plCe to get in touch!

Don, it seems SAPIEN WMI Explorer is not a free tool any more. Pitty.