PowerShell Loop running command twice

Hello. I created the script below that checks to see if a sub-folder exists in the SCCM console folder structure and if not, create it. It is using a “for each” loop to check the sub-folders of the main specified folder and after that, if it doesn’t exist, then create it.

The problem is, while this creates the sub-folder and exits out of the loop, the…

new-item -Name $APPLICATION_FOLDER_NAME -Path $SCCM_SITE_CODE\Application$APPLICATION_CATEGORY_FOLDER

…command runs more than once so even though the sub-folder gets created, I then get the following error after it exits the loop:

new-item : Path already exists.
At line:16 char:9
+ new-item -Name $APPLICATION_FOLDER_NAME -Path $SCCM_SITE_CODE …
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (NP2SCCM701V.sta…n\PSL\NewFolder:String) [New-Item], InvalidOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Path,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewItemCommand

And that occurs because while the folder didn’t exist until the script was ran, it then did get created from the script, but is running an additional time so I am either using the wrong kind of loop or it is failing on when to exit the loop after the sub-folder is created.

Any ideas? Code below:

# GET SCCM SITE CODE
$SMS = gwmi -Namespace 'root\sms' -query "SELECT SiteCode FROM SMS_ProviderLocation" 
$SCCM_SITE_CODE = $SMS.SiteCode + ":"

# SET VARIABLES
$APPLICATION_CATEGORY_FOLDER = "PSL"
$APPLICATION_FOLDER_NAME = "NewFolder"

# GET LIST OF SCCM CONSOLE SUB-FOLDERS OF THE "PSL" FOLDER
$GET_SUBFOLDERS_OF_APPLICATION_CATEGORY = get-item -Path "LCS:\Application\$APPLICATION_CATEGORY_FOLDER\*" | select -ExpandProperty Name

# IF SUB-FOLDER ALREADY EXISTS, DO NOTHING, OTHERWISE CREATE THE FOLDER SPECIFIED IN $APPLICATION_FOLDER_NAME
foreach($SUB_FOLDER in $GET_SUBFOLDERS_OF_APPLICATION_CATEGORY)
{
     if($SUB_FOLDER -eq $APPLICATION_FOLDER_NAME)
     {
          Write-Output ("Sub-folder already exists.") 
             } Else {
          new-item -Name $APPLICATION_FOLDER_NAME -Path $SCCM_SITE_CODE\Application\$APPLICATION_CATEGORY_FOLDER

}
}

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ea233e51-91ce-4c99-a7ca-a807025aee7a/powershell-loop-running-command-twice?forum=winserverpowershell