newbie: Starting a script with spaces in pathname

I’m trying to start a script (with one positional argument) from the command line thusly:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command "& {C:\Users\John\Documents\My Programs\myScript.ps1 330g000000rXr89}"

The attempt fails due to the space in the pathname for the script. Various attempts at single-, double-quotes, doubled double-quotes, and using the DOS ^ escape character, have failed.

Thanks in advance.

When calling a PowerShell script from the command line, this is how I do it:

powershell.exe -file "c:\Temp\Test Path\test.ps1"

You’re trying to tell PowerShell to launch a file, not a command. Just tested and it works with the space in the file path.

Thanks, but that’s how I started this mis-adventure. When I attempt the following:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -file "C:\Users\John\Documents\My Programs\myScript.ps1 0330g000000rXr89"

I get the error:

Processing -File 'C:\Users\John\Documents\My Programs\myScript.ps1 0330g000000rXr89' failed because the file does not have a '.ps1' extension. Specify a valid Windows PowerShell script file name, and then try again.

which clearly isn’t correct. My original question arose working around this problem. BTW, the original works when there is not a space in the file pathname.

I’m using PowerShell 3.0.

Ideas?

Your file name does not end with .ps1. Try removing 0330g000000rXr89 from the end of the filename and see if that works.

0330g000000rXr89 is intended to be a positional parameter.

I am not sure about the positional parameter but the error you posted starts with “failed because the file does not have a ‘.ps1’ extension.”

I thought I had tried this, but it must of slipped through the cracks. This works:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -file "C:\Users\John\Documents\My Programs\myScript.ps1" "0330g000000rXr89"

Thanks to all that responded.