.NET framework 4.5 but PowerShell 2.0

Hi! I have installed the newest .NET fram,ework on my machine. But still when i type get-host in PowerShell it say Version 2.0.
Anyone had problems like that before? I never have, i hope someone have time to help out.

What’s $PSVersionTable say?

CLRVersion 2.0.50727.8762
BuildVersion 6.1.7601.17514
PSVersion 2.0
WSManStackVersion 2.0
PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0}
SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1
PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.1

You’ve also got .NET 2.0 installed, and that’s what PowerShell v2 is using. Not at all uncommon; different .NET versions can happily live side by side.

How can i make it use 4.5 version of .NET framework?

You can’t. .NET applications are compiled against a specific version of the Framework and typically work only with that version. If you want a newer version of PowerShell, you’ll need to install it. That’s separate from .NET.

Can you provide a link for PowerShell? I am not sure how to work with this

Go to Microsoft.com/powershell. There’s a tile on the page that links to installation downloads and instructions.

You want to install the Windows Management Framework (WMF), and the site lists pre-requisites. Not every version of PowerShell is compatible with every version of Windows (Windows XP, for example, can’t run anything past PowerShell v2). So you’ll need to read and understand the pre-requisites before downloading anything.

If you have an old version of Windows, particularly versions that are out of support, then you may not be able to install a newer version of PowerShell than what came with Windows. Microsoft doesn’t provide support for older versions of Windows. I believe Windows 7 is the oldest version currently supported.

I am trying to install the WMF 5.1 and see if it updates PowerShell, thanks.

Thanks m8, WMF newest is downloaded and installed but i cannot reboot my computer yet, too much work going on :slight_smile: