Need to export all computers from 2 OU's into 1 .CSV file?

I’m new to powershell and i’m trying to link 2 statements together and list all computers in 2 different OU’s in 1 .txt or .csv. Idealy I would like to reboot those computers as well? I’m using get-computer -filter * -searchbase “ou=example dc=microsoft, dc=com” | select name ; get-adcomputer -filter * -searchbase “ou=esxample dc=microsoft, dc=com” | select name | export-csv c:\example? Any help would be great.

I’d run a separate command for each OU. On the second, use the -Append option on Export-CSV (present in v3, I think). Rebooting them would become a third command, I imagine. Trying to do all of that in a one-liner is a bit ambitious and doesn’t really offer a benefit.

I dont really need to do it all in one line. I’m trying to find the best way to write this out?

Well, I think you’ve pretty much got it. You just need to separate your two statements. The semicolon “ends” one pipeline, which is why what you’ve got isn’t working; it doesn’t “combine” the output of the first command with that of the second.

get-adcomputer -filter * -searchbase “ou=example2, dc=microsoft, dc=com” | select name | export-csv c:\example.csv 
get-adcomputer -filter * -searchbase “ou=example1, dc=microsoft, dc=com” | select name | export-csv c:\example.csv -append

That gets you one CSV file. Restart-Computer accepts pipeline input, and can bind a “ComputerName” property to its -ComputerName parameter. So the problem with your CSV right now is that it has a Name property, not a ComputerName property. You can fix that in the pipeline.

Import-CSV c:\example.csv | Select @{label='computername';expression={$_.name}} | restart-computer -verbose

That takes your CSV file as input, attaches a “computername” property that contains the same thing as the current “name” property (e.g. column), and lets Restart-Computer do the rest.

That help a bit?

Thanks Don! That helps. Can I make that in a 3 line script and then run a scheduled task?

Don’t see why not.

Don if i would have said | select -computername instead of | select name would i been able to restart without this part( Select @{label=‘computername’;expression={$_.name}} ). What does the -verbose do for the command? Thanks again!

No, because the ADComputer objects don’t have a ComputerName property. They have a Name property.

Get-ADComputer -searchbase "ou=whatever,dc=domain,dc=com" -filter * | Get-Member

No ComputerName property, so you can’t select it. Like, Chapter 8 in “Learn PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches,” I think. “The Pipeline, Deeper” is the chapter name.

-Verbose is a common parameter. It enables more verbose output from the command - e.g., a better idea of what it’s doing. Read about_common_parameters on that one.

ok awesome. I’m going to have to get that book. :slight_smile: