Move-Item and keep newer file

Hi everybody :slight_smile:

Firstly, thank you so much for you help recently. But I have a new problem, still on the same script. I would like to to move file for a directory to a new directory, but when I use Move-Item -Force, if file already exist Powershell keep older File. I’ve found a script with a function that keep newerf file but that doesn’t work. Here my complete script :

$path = 'C:\Users\margu\Desktop\Test_Copy\*'

$destinationFolder = 'C:\Users\margu\Desktop\Test_Paste\'

$fileList = Get-ChildItem -Path $path -Include tes* -File -Recurse

$hour10 = (Get-Date 10:00).ToString("HH:mm")

# If file already exist, keep newer

function ShouldMove

{

param($File, $Destination)

$testPath = Join-Path $Destination -ChildPath $File.Name

if(Test-Path $testPath)

{

# If the destination folder contains this file name

$destFile = Get-Item $testPath

if($File.CreationTime -gt $destFile.CreationTime)

{

# If the source file is newer return `$true`

return $true

}

# Else `$false`

return $false

}

# If destination does not have this file, return `$true`

$true

}

# Test if folder exist

if (!(Test-Path $destinationFolder))

{

New-Item -Path $destinationFolder -ItemType Directory

}

# Move Files

foreach ($file in $fileList)

{

$dateFile = (Get-Item -Path $file).LastWriteTime

$hourFile = $dateFile.ToString("HH:mm")

# Set name according next day or current day

if ($hourFile -ge $hour10)

{

$name = ($file.LastWriteTime.AddDays(1).ToString('ddMMyyyy')) + $file.Extension

}

else

{

$name = ($file.LastWriteTime.ToString('ddMMyyyy')) + $file.Extension

}

$destinationFile = Join-Path -Path $destinationFolder -ChildPath $name

if(-not $destinationFile) { continue }

if(ShouldMove -File $file -Destination $destinationFile)

{

# `-Force` to replace it

Move-Item -LiteralPath $file.FullName -Destination $destinationFile -Force

continue

}

# If `ShouldMove` returned `$false` then, instead of moving the file, delete the source

Remove-Item -LiteralPath $destinationFile.FullName

}

So how can I keep the newer file in new directory with this script.

Thank you for your help and have a good day :slight_smile:

Without digging too deep into your code … robocopy is made to copy files or folders very efficiently and has a lot of options to control what should be copied. :wink: A script may not be necessary.

I noticed you’re using the property CreationTime of the files to be compared against each other. In most of the cases this is the wrong property. Are you really sure you don’t need to use LastWriteTime instead?

Thany you to get noticed for the CreationTime instead of LastWriteTime but that didn’t solve the problem. I’ve search solution on Google but nothing solve this for keep the newest. I understand Olaf that I can simplify the script, but I want to learn to use Powershell.

Just because someone published or posted code online does not mean the code is correct and working. :wink:

It does not make sense to use code from the internet you don’t fully understand and you cannot be sure about if it works at all for the purpose you’re looking for. AND it does not make sense to rebuilt already existing built in functionality. There’s no benefit in it. If it’s about a copy job - use robocopy. :wink:

No. If you use the parameter -Force PowerShell will copy the file no matter if it’s newer or not.

OK. Let’s do a big step back and start from scratch - what do you actually want to achieve?