Measure-Commands (match or contains)

Hey Folks,

I stuck a bit with measuring. After watching a video, how to build advanced PowerShell-Functions I wanted to know, what is faster: $String -match ‘^C:\’ or $String -contains ‘C:*’. After I measured this, the solution is, that -match is 1ms faster… but when I do for example a forloop in it, the -contains method is faster about 27ms. I have no glue why, any ideas?

$path = "C:\Windows"

Measure-Command{
    if($path -match '^C:\\'){
        for($X=1; $X -lt 500; $X++){
            Write-Output "Contains"
        }
    }
}#faster 1x

Measure-Command{
    if($path -contains "C:\"){
            Write-Output "Contains"
        }
    }
}#faster 500x

BR,
BBC

Actually it does not make sense to compare them because they do different things. “-Contains” checks if a specific item is in a collection and “-match” tries to find a pattern in a string.

Ohh okay, I didn’t see that!
Thank you. I will try it with -like :slight_smile:

Edit:

$path = "C:\Windows"

Measure-Command{
    if($path -match '^C:\\'){
            Write-Output "Contains"
        }
    }
}#faster 1x

Measure-Command{
    if($path -like "C:\*"){
            Write-Output "Contains"
        }
    }
}#faster 500x

Okay, like is faster about 2ms (1 times).
Now is the question, why?

BR,
BBC

Because they don’t do the same under the hood. Even if it seems to produce similar results.

Those kind of comparisons are useless if you don’t have a particular use case. Of course some commands run faster than others because they do different things.

BTW: If you’re interested - there is a German Powershell Forum. Sometimes it is easier to explain or even to ask in your native/first language. :wink:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-de/home?forum=powershell_de

Thank you a lot for the explanation.
I try to improve my skills, with PowerShell and also in English writing.

Is there a way to have a look under the hood for a method or a command?
Because I want to optimize the code, by knowing what command/methods will perform in the background and not measure everything.

How do you detected where I am from?

BR,
BBC

I try to improve my skills, with PowerShell and also in English writing.
Great. Both thumbs up. ;-)
Is there a way to have a look under the hood for a method or a command?
Hmmm ... yes and no. As far as I know there is no easy way but you could do reverse engeneering if you really want to.
Because I want to optimize the code, by knowing what command/methods will perform in the background and not measure everything.
Powershell improved a lot over the last years, but it is still scripting technology. Most of the time performance does not matter that much. If it matters - measure it. ;-) Pretty often you can use .net code to speed up some tasks but I think most of the time it is enough to go with consistent Powershell cmdlets. That's more reliable and maintainable.
How do you detected where I am from?
You told me. ;-) You posted a link to your blog in your profile.

ohh, sometimes I am a little bit blind. yeah.

Okay, earlier before I just wrote C# code.
So I started with PowerShell mid/end of the last year.

But I practice each day, with administrativ scenarios. I saved some money yet :slight_smile:

I think with the time-spent-balance in mind it is better to reach the perfect solution with measuring instead of reverse engineering every command.

Cheers and thank you :smiley:

Have a nice day.

BR,
BBC