Managing Hyper-V Server 2012 from a Windows 7 Computer

by RobertDLindholmJr at 2012-12-14 10:14:05

Hello:

I’ve just setup a Hyper-V Server 2012 testbox and would like to manage it from a Windows 7 administrative machine via Powershell.

I have installed the Windows Management Framework 3.0 on the Win7 box, so Im running Powershell v3.0.

I have installed the RSAT suite for Windows 7 and have added the Hyper-V server role to my RSAT config.

I can connect to the Hyper-V box via Hyper-V Manager and/or Remote Desktop,but would like to be able to manage the Hyper-V box using Powershell.

The Hyper-V module isn’t present in the base install, but even after running update-help [after the Hyper-V role role was added] and trying to run the following command [below], which also didn’t import the Hyper-V cmdlets into Powershell, I’m still not clear on how to "import" the Hyper-V module into my instance of Powershell or if this is even possible.

- Update-Help –Module Hyper-V

update-help : No Windows PowerShell modules were found that match the following pattern: hyper-v. Verify the pattern
and then try the command again.
At line:1 char:1
+ update-help -module hyper-v
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (hyper-v:String) [Update-Help], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

I realize that Windows 8 has a lot of this functionality "baked in", but would like to manage this from a Win7 machine for now; I have also come across an article online outlining a process that uses CodePlex, but was wondering if this can’t be done "natively" without a third party tool.

If anyone can comment on whether this is [first] possible on a Win7 machine and [second] if it is possible, how do I get the Hyper-V cmdlets imported into Powershell on the Win7 machine, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob
by ArtB0514 at 2012-12-14 13:47:03
Your best bet would be to use remoting. Best introduction is Don’s book at http://powershellbooks.com/. Search for information on Implicit Remoting. That might be the most straight forward way to accomplish what you want.