Install-Package vs Install-Module

I am wondering when its appropriate to use Install-Package and Install-Module.

I have an internal PowerShell repository which I publish myown modules to. Install-Package will work with it, Install-Module doesn’t.

Thus my understanding had been that Install-Package uses all registered providers. Install-Module seems to be just for online repositories such as PSGallery.

I can find and install Pester with both.

C:\> install-package pester
WARNING: Version '3.4.0' of module 'Pester' is already installed at 'C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Pester\3.4.0' . . .

C:\> install-module pester
WARNING: Version '3.4.0' of module 'Pester' is already installed at 'C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Pester\3.4.0' . . .

But what is confusing me is PoshRSJobs was only available with Find-Module/Install-Module.

C:\> Find-Package poshrsjobs
Find-Package : No match was found for the specified search criteria and package name 'poshrsjobs'.

C:\> Find-Module poshrsjob
1.7.2.4    PoshRSJob                           PSGallery            Module designed to . . .

I’ve searched around and looked at the help files to see what the use cases are for each but can’t find an answer.

Michael

So… Install-Package is part of the lower-level PowerShell Package Manager. It does indeed use any available provider. Install-Module, on the other hand, is a very specific implementation that rides atop PowerShell Package Manager. It works only with providers that look and feel like PowerShell Gallery. That can be a private gallery.

PPM can potentially install any kind of software; Install-Module only installs PowerShell artifacts.

Thanks Don, that confirms my understanding.

I found this also.

At the PowerShell cmdlet layer, Install-Module is actually a thin wrapper around Install-Package -Provider PSModule.
https://www.powershellgallery.com/GettingStarted?section=FAQ

My confusion over why Find-Package could not find the module was down to a typo.

C:\> Find-Package poshrsjobs

It should have been PoshRSJob not PoshRSJobs

Regards,

Michael