Thinking about a general “Ways to Manage” your scripts as a topic for the DFW PowerShell User Group.
We have in the past discussed many ways to package and run scripts from Batch files, shortcuts and EXE.
What I am curious about is how people manage running them.
- How do you Run the script in production?
- Scheduled Job
- Manually running script from shortcut or console
- From a web interface
- PowerGUI UI
- How do you store your scripts?
- Everything is local
- File Share
- local files pulled from a repository
- How do you vet scripts for production use?
If there is a production Script location how are you vetting scripts before they move there:
- Parse for Script Errors
- Change Management / Review and Authorization
- Do you classify your scripts (Risk areas)?
- Production Critical(if this breaks someone is going to be bothered)
- non Critical Reporting (production, but failing can be identified and corrected)
- Workflow helpers/shortcut process (Okay if it fails)
- Do you track business owners and maintainers to keep up with scope and change risk?