Get-Process of the unknown

I hope this question isn’t too trivial. How would one go about identifying the name of the corresponding process their interested in, without knowing the ProcessName to begin with? The other day I was using windows 10’s “Project” utility to watch something on my television and it crashed. So I thought, well I’ll just stop-process -name … wait, what’s the name?!

Again, I apologize if this is a silly question, but would just like to get a sense of how some of you go about doing these sort of tasks.

Well it’s not really a powershell question but you have good timing. Check out this post on Reddit, it’s probably the first place most look to find out such information.

Task manager. From the poster who claims to have created it:

• You can find the binary for any executing process in the process table by right clicking and pick “Show File Location”. You can also search it online, but I don’t know if they have useful info for much.

Task manager should be able to tell you what you need to know. There are more in depth tools like process explorer, procmon, etc if you want to find out more about them.

Hi Doug,

Checked out the reddit post, cool stuff! Process explorer seems to be the answer I’m looking for. I’ll do some reading on it. Appreciate your response!