Get-dscconfiguration error but config applied

I’m beginning to tire of the hoops i have to jump through to get DSC working. My latest problem is Get-dscConfiguration returning the error below, although a config has actually applied.

"Get-DscConfiguration : Current configuration does not exist. Execute Start-DscConfiguration command with -Path
parameter to specify a configuration file and create a current configuration first.
At line:1 char:1

• Get-DscConfiguration
  •   + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager:root/Microsoft/...gurationManager) [Get
     -DscConfiguration], CimException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1,Get-DscConfiguration"

I’ve also checked in the C:\Windows\System32\Configuration> and there is only a pending.mof in there.
However the config that has been applied through a pull server is all there, so i just don’t understand what is happening. Its quite a long configuration file that utilises a lot of custom scripts but ive verified they all work. I’m trying to build a self servive platform but am beginning to think that DSC in its current state is just not up to the job, it feels way too fragile with too many idiosyncrasies but i would like to persevere and try and get this working.
Any help much appreciated thanks

Technology can indeed be exciting to work with.

Does this only happen with the large, complex config you refer to, or do you see it happening with smaller, simpler configurations as well? Have you turned on diagnostic tracing, applied a fresh config, and looked through the Debug and Analytic logs to see if there are any clues?